Skip to main content

Lent is almost over

This is Holy Week, the last week of the Lenten Season culminating in Easter. So what was my sacrifice? Well, I didn't give myself one. I did pray about it and apparently God gave me a good one. Over the last month I've had to deal with people who have wronged me seriously. These are people whom I've distanced myself from because of their actions. In each case I was put in a situation where I encountered them again. The encounters were enough to tell me that I can be civil to someone but I don't have to go all mushy with them also.

The Grebe that we rescued from the frozen pond was transferred to the Milwaukee Humane Society rescue center as they have more experience with water birds. After a month of hanging out in a deep pool diving for minnows, the Grebe was rehabilitated enough to be let go. The Humane Society has had 2 Grebes as rescues this year which is a record for them. Grebes are endangered here in Wisconsin (well, they ARE migratory..they may just not migrate here any more) and to rescue two of them is good and bad.

It's just been a very cold winter. Lake Superior froze completely over. Lake Michigan almost did. Its no wonder so many water birds had issues this year.

Nothing's cuter than a man and his pet goose. Here he and Sissy are exchanging Good Morning greetings. Sissy's whole family have gotten themselves moved into the garage for breeding/laying season. Buddy's been fiesty with them all.

I finished up the green hat. I made a mistake and kept on knitting it on the size 3 circs, but that's OK. The biggest issue is that I made the cast on too big: 132 stitches is too much. I'm wearing it now because it's like 32°F outside and it's very windy. The gusts are sneaking into the house.

Molly has been sitting on her nest now for over a week. We get hissed at when we enter the pen, but that's just her being a good Mama. I told Dave that Molly brooded her babies in June last year. This year she's going to get it done early. I'm already thinking of things that we'll need to do when the babies hatch.

The biggest obstacle will be the fact that there is a 4" step down into the goose pen. The babies will need some sort of ramp for about 2 weeks. They grow fast so after that it will be OK.

And for the last fun of this week, it's Dave and Sweet Pea. Sweet Pea is a gander who is gentle, mellow and very friendly. He likes to give kisses to us. He'll come up and nibble on your bottom lip. He's the only goose we have that will do this.

So here he is giving Dave kisses. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1000th Feedback!!!

KIP Bags by Ruddawg has gotten their 1000th feedback! In honor of this momentous occasion, I am giving away a One of a Kind KIP Bag filled with goodies. The stuff? A sampling based on the idea "A Few of my Favorite Things." What are a few of my favorite things? Well, KIP bags, of course. This one is red velvet, 10" high by 7 1/2" wide. A red velvet wrist strap allows for knitting and walking at the same time. It has a decorator fabric bottom and fancy stitching at the top to give it a more festive look. What is in the bag? The top fuzzy item is a pair of socks. Not just socks, but a pair of those fuzzy and oh so soft socks. I am a fiend for socks! I ask for a new set of socks every year for my birthday. Next is a skein of Alpaca yarn - Caramel in color. I love, love LOVE alpaca! This skein is from Blue Sky Alpacas, 120 yards of Sport Weight Yarn. The red item is my most useful tool for knitting, sewing and everything else. It's a small swiss army knife that

Secret of the Stole: Clue 3 Finished!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/secretofthestole/ Clue 3 is finished! I am knitting it in handspun 2-ply yarn on size 3 addi circular needles with beads. The beads used to be only green, now I've added lavender and gold ones also. To me, this looks like a spider and web-themed stole. Notice the 3 spiders on it? I call them spiders because they have 8 legs each.
I know the picture is not the best, but it does show the basic shape of the shawl. It's a faerose shawl, knitted for a friend of mine who will be married next month. The middle is a pattern I've memorized from somewhere, but the wings were from the Mystery Stole3 Pattern. Now the left side was the easiest: I picked up 100 stitches from the middle and just utilized the wing chart from the Mystery Stole3. The right side took some canoodling. I figured out that if I read the wing chart from the left to the right instead of the 'usual' way it would work. The last stitch was not a slip stitch, but a k2tog stitch. I then slipped that stitch and purled all the way back to the edge of the wing. It worked out well. The total knitting time was 2 weeks. I knitted like a fiend. Last Thursday I realized that I had to start school this Thursday. I knitted faster and faster. I finished it during the Packer game last night and blocked it on my son's bedroom floor.