Tuesday, January 27, 2015

More Projects found

I've been searching high and low for my unfinished projects. Some are a complete surprise to me. Some aren't. For the Finish Part this time:

As I come across stuff, I wonder...do I know this thing? Do I have more yarn for it? What in the hell was I thinking? Well this next one is known, and I have more yarn for it, I just don't like the colorway. BUT...it was on sale so.... [Image retracted, just an entrelac thing..trust me]

It's an Eleanor Shawl, in Lion Brand Amazing color way Joshua Tree. I think it looks hideous so I tried to frog it. Nope, no go. The yarn is very clingy. So I guess I'll slog on through to the end with this one. I've got another 4 skeins of it left to go. They make nice gifts as nursing shawls for new moms.

Owlie sleep sack was not in the For F 15, but was made on impulse for my Godson's new baby, William. I wanted to give this pattern a shot for a while. I made modifications to it, like the bottom is buttoned so you can change diapers more quickly, The top is a ribbed pattern so it doesn't roll.

The yarn is a clearance Lion Brand thing. Soft wool or something like that. It's made to be washed and I wanted to make sure that was an option. New parents don't need to be thinking, "can I wash this?" with 2 hours of sleep per day.

There's a hat that goes with this, but it's just a hat. I swear these days I can knock out hats in my sleep. I'm pretty sure that I do, actually.
This is a Mara shawl in the Mallabrigo Rastita yarn. The colorway is Marte. I wanted to highlight the awesome colors in this yarn  and this seemed to be the best way to do so. Today I moved it from the small circular needles to the longer ones. I've got one set of size 10 and 7 knitpicks Options needles plus one 40" and one 24" circ. for it. I switched them around today as the smaller needle was getting crowded. That's about 2/3 through the first skein, and I have another skein to finish it up with.

I frogged a few items, have a few more to go. I'm still contemplating that Queen Annes' Lace one, but I need to check on the pattern first. It's on my ipad and I should be able to see if I knitted those plain rounds on it or not from looking at my notes. 

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Finish or Frog Fifteen

That's what I'm calling this year: Finish or Frog 15.

Finished:

Squishy Cowl named Limburger.
Dave and I went to the Monroe Cheese festival this year. It was an anniversary year so it was a crush of people. Wisconsin cheese makers set up a huge tent on the square and offer up samples of their best. Along the other sides of the square are fund raising tents, a reenactment of cheese making done 100 years ago, and some nice yodelers in Lederhosen.  One fundraising tent was to take the Limburger test.

For $3 you got to sample Limburger, the smelliest cheese there is. You got the choice between 'fresh' Limburger or "about to go bad." I chose "about to go bad." The taste? Beer cheese. Tasted like Beer cheese.  Now add a bit of mustard on that and it tasted good. I'd do it again..with beer.  But..as we moved from one side of the block to the other, the crush of people got so bad near the yodeling bandstand that we were smack upside the shops. Then Dave notices a yarn shop up ahead. We went in, I bought this lush baby Alpaca yarn and made a nice soft thing for my neck. Only took me, what? 6 months to finish?  The pattern is called the scrunchable cowl on Ravelry. If I were to do it again, I'd add another repeat as I don't like things so close to my neck.

A pair of mitts and a coordinating cowl made from Kashmere Kisses from Ho Lo (Hobby Lobby) Honestly, I don't know why this yarn wasn't more popular. It's uber-soft and nice to work with. I bought several skeins on clearance and made myself a nice set. Too bad I don't have enough for a hat. Oh well.

The mitts are knitted with a made-up pattern. CO a multiple of 4 on dpns: probably 44 knit 2 purl 2 for about 2" then stockinette. For a thumb increase, I do a Kfb then increase every other row doing that until I have about 10-13 more stitches. Then I cast off those stitches and in the next round I add another 4 by backwards loop. Just for fun, the middle 2 of those stitches is purled so I know where to start my cast off. Top 1" is k1 p1 ribbing.

The cowl is the pattern named Ithacowl in Ravelry. A mistaken rib pattern that frustrated me because it was a simple k2 p2 and then drift the next row over 1...I finally had to put a stitch marker in. AHHH! LOL.. I know most people already do that. I'm lazy; most of the time stitch markers are not at hand.

Frogged:
One stupid project in which I tried to use mohair to make cables. EW
Next up for frogging: A hideous lace project with way too large of beads, an entrelace stole started but never finished in that hideous colorway Joshua tree from Lion Brand Amazing. I never did like those colors much. Then I get to do some sleuthing work and determine if I knitted that Queen Anne's Lace shawl correctly. You see, the pattern is an older version and you really needed to pay attention to the row #'s. If one wasn't shown in the pattern, you were to knit that row plainly. Yeah. I never did pay that much attention................Maybe I did, but I'm betting I didn't. It will need to be frogged.