Skip to main content

ugh, the winter will never end, will it?

I'm determined to not let it get me down, but then it pretty much did. Last Saturday I was out doing night chores and slipped on the ice. I went down carrying to canisters of water. My arm was not happy to suffer another injury. The left knee has a bruise and oddly enough; my stomach muscles were pulled.

Aleve is my friend this winter.

A quick look at the chickens that were hatched last weekend. We had 8 hatch, and another two are expected today.  This is the 1st week of the 3 week long hatching fun that will culminate in us having 30 chickens to raise to butcher and eat next fall/winter.

They're doing well. I have one that hatched last night that is a bit more tired than the others. As you see in the photo, we first stuck them in the bathtub after realizing the usual spot in the laundry room was not going to work. There is little heat in the laundry room, and the heat lamp was not putting out a consistent temp.

**Normally, the weather outside by now is consistently in the 30's and 40's...but not this year ***

So we stuck them in a box in the bathtub. Which was fine until we needed to fill water for chores. Now they are beside the sink and the door stays closed.  

This is the hat knitted for Cody's Dad. I've not seen him yet to give it to him. Malabrigo worsted is some great soft yarn. It should keep him warm for many years to come.

He wanted Packer Colors, so I frogged a pair of mittens that I've stashed now for 2 years. They were 1/2 done and I was not in the mood to finish them.




There's this stuff by Lion Brand called Imagine Prints. Essentially it's a huge knitted tube. What I did was take that stuff on clearance for 3 bucks, and frog it to make a light thread that I'm using doubled to make this cabled scarf. Big cables ...now I'm contemplating buying more of this stuff to make a longer scarf.

Not because I'm not working on like...3 different projects right now, right?

It was started because I happened to stop by the fabric store on my way to pick up the Hubby one day and thought...I could frog that for some nice yarn.

I should just stop doing that. It's a habit of mine to buy one skein of a yarn because it's pretty, then have not enough for a project.

The cabled shawl is progressing. I made a strange cable cross in the middle while babysitting, but I think I can make it a design element.

Now I know I have enough of this yarn. I've got 10 skeins of it!  I will eventually have to figure out how big to make it and what edging needs to be put on, but for now, it's a calming knit.

There was no real aim to this project, only to make a nice, warm, cabled shawl that I can wrap around me while making meals or studying.

And when I study, sometimes my hands get cold. So I have more than a few of these fingerless mitts around. These were made from handspun on size 3 needles. Instead of fiddling with a thumb, I made an increase for the thumb base and then bound off the stitches while knitting that row. I was running out of yarn anyways and sometimes I just don't need a thumb, but to keep my hands warm.

 I like the colors in this: the hues of red then the hues of teal. It was the reason they were knitted into mitts. Sometimes you just need to see color when everything is either white or a shade of white/gray.


It looks formless and a blob, but it's a prayer shawl. I'm behind in my donations to the church for the shawls, but hey...I can't be the only one they depend on for these shawls.  It gets annoying that a few people will donate much to the church and the rest skate on just throwing bucks into the offering plate.

In times past, if a family was poor, they'd donate their time and talents. If you've gone into a church built before 1900, you'd see much of that in the altar and carvings. Just because you did not have money didn't mean you did not donate your talents whenever you could.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1000th Feedback!!!

KIP Bags by Ruddawg has gotten their 1000th feedback! In honor of this momentous occasion, I am giving away a One of a Kind KIP Bag filled with goodies. The stuff? A sampling based on the idea "A Few of my Favorite Things." What are a few of my favorite things? Well, KIP bags, of course. This one is red velvet, 10" high by 7 1/2" wide. A red velvet wrist strap allows for knitting and walking at the same time. It has a decorator fabric bottom and fancy stitching at the top to give it a more festive look. What is in the bag? The top fuzzy item is a pair of socks. Not just socks, but a pair of those fuzzy and oh so soft socks. I am a fiend for socks! I ask for a new set of socks every year for my birthday. Next is a skein of Alpaca yarn - Caramel in color. I love, love LOVE alpaca! This skein is from Blue Sky Alpacas, 120 yards of Sport Weight Yarn. The red item is my most useful tool for knitting, sewing and everything else. It's a small swiss army knife that

Secret of the Stole: Clue 3 Finished!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/secretofthestole/ Clue 3 is finished! I am knitting it in handspun 2-ply yarn on size 3 addi circular needles with beads. The beads used to be only green, now I've added lavender and gold ones also. To me, this looks like a spider and web-themed stole. Notice the 3 spiders on it? I call them spiders because they have 8 legs each.
I know the picture is not the best, but it does show the basic shape of the shawl. It's a faerose shawl, knitted for a friend of mine who will be married next month. The middle is a pattern I've memorized from somewhere, but the wings were from the Mystery Stole3 Pattern. Now the left side was the easiest: I picked up 100 stitches from the middle and just utilized the wing chart from the Mystery Stole3. The right side took some canoodling. I figured out that if I read the wing chart from the left to the right instead of the 'usual' way it would work. The last stitch was not a slip stitch, but a k2tog stitch. I then slipped that stitch and purled all the way back to the edge of the wing. It worked out well. The total knitting time was 2 weeks. I knitted like a fiend. Last Thursday I realized that I had to start school this Thursday. I knitted faster and faster. I finished it during the Packer game last night and blocked it on my son's bedroom floor.