Skip to main content

PEEP

Sissy's babies hatched! She's got 3 Uncles and one Daddy who are her Nannies.  It's hilarious to see them all looking after these 3 little ones.  They are little fluff balls that waddle behind Mama where ever she goes.  As soon as I can, I will get a pic of the babies on her back.  It's cute. At times they are under her wing, but if they are sufficiently warm, they just nap on her back.

There's still a lot of hissing and charging from the Uncles, but Daddy has calmed down a lot. Sissy's got them out for a tour of the lilac bush in the picture.

This is Molly on her nest. She got a late start. After spending most of the spring running away from the guys, she finally decided to let them near her...which led to mating.  She's got 11 eggs under her.  Dave's been building nests to see what is the optimum dimensions for them.  This one is 3' square by about 8" high.  The concrete block in front helps her get in an out better.

We're revamping an old Tobacco stripping shed to turn into goose quarters with areas for our gals to nest.  Hopefully with all the boys taking mates, there will be less off an issue with space. Right now, Molly's nest is about 10' from Sissy's nest and Ron would just go bonkers trying to force her off hers.  We now have a nice L shape made from straw bales to separate them.

The ducklings over 3 weeks are now in the outside pen with Mama Duck.  She's got a damaged foot and is taking Baytril antibiotics for another 2 days.  Mama Ducks' right ankle looks to be permanently FUBAR. We'll see how she does on it after the course of antibiotics. It's kinda hard to think about culling her. She's got a mate and a loyal friend in Percy.

I'm on my last batch of hatched ducklings. Down to the last one.  That will make..(I'm counting..hang on...15 in the pen, 10 in the nursery, 4 in the warming box...29 ducklings I've hatched in the last month to 6 weeks.  A LOT of hatching!  They're our 'livestock' so to speak and will be this winter's meals.

However...I've had more than one request to sell some of these organic, free-range ducks after I've dispatched them.  I really didn't think of that, mainly because there's a TON of regulations, red tape, $$ to hand as bribes just to do that.  I cannot afford it, and I am sure we would not meet the standards by the Government just to sell 3 birds.  I mean there's probably about 300 pages of OSHA and EPA regulations alone!

It pretty much sucks ass when the government prevents a person from making an honest buck. Of course, if you've not heard about the story of the man who rented his cows to people who paid him to milk the cows, store the milk and then hand it to them when they came to get it, well then:
Wisconsin raw milk farmer acquitted on 3 of 4 criminal charges
It's been an enlightening thing for us farmers.  We are very wary about selling anything we produce these days due to the government being against it.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1000th Feedback!!!

KIP Bags by Ruddawg has gotten their 1000th feedback! In honor of this momentous occasion, I am giving away a One of a Kind KIP Bag filled with goodies. The stuff? A sampling based on the idea "A Few of my Favorite Things." What are a few of my favorite things? Well, KIP bags, of course. This one is red velvet, 10" high by 7 1/2" wide. A red velvet wrist strap allows for knitting and walking at the same time. It has a decorator fabric bottom and fancy stitching at the top to give it a more festive look. What is in the bag? The top fuzzy item is a pair of socks. Not just socks, but a pair of those fuzzy and oh so soft socks. I am a fiend for socks! I ask for a new set of socks every year for my birthday. Next is a skein of Alpaca yarn - Caramel in color. I love, love LOVE alpaca! This skein is from Blue Sky Alpacas, 120 yards of Sport Weight Yarn. The red item is my most useful tool for knitting, sewing and everything else. It's a small swiss army knife that

Secret of the Stole: Clue 3 Finished!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/secretofthestole/ Clue 3 is finished! I am knitting it in handspun 2-ply yarn on size 3 addi circular needles with beads. The beads used to be only green, now I've added lavender and gold ones also. To me, this looks like a spider and web-themed stole. Notice the 3 spiders on it? I call them spiders because they have 8 legs each.
I know the picture is not the best, but it does show the basic shape of the shawl. It's a faerose shawl, knitted for a friend of mine who will be married next month. The middle is a pattern I've memorized from somewhere, but the wings were from the Mystery Stole3 Pattern. Now the left side was the easiest: I picked up 100 stitches from the middle and just utilized the wing chart from the Mystery Stole3. The right side took some canoodling. I figured out that if I read the wing chart from the left to the right instead of the 'usual' way it would work. The last stitch was not a slip stitch, but a k2tog stitch. I then slipped that stitch and purled all the way back to the edge of the wing. It worked out well. The total knitting time was 2 weeks. I knitted like a fiend. Last Thursday I realized that I had to start school this Thursday. I knitted faster and faster. I finished it during the Packer game last night and blocked it on my son's bedroom floor.