Skip to main content

Thanksgiving in a new perspective

Thanksgiving for a lot of people this year is going to be more of a challenge than years past.  Not a lot to be thankful for when you've lost those things that make you feel secure in your life like health insurance and your retirement savings. Yes, I've lost both this year, BUT it allows me to focus on other issues to be thankful for.  I must remember that having the ability to use my intelligence to gather the needed information to get things I need is much more important than having those things given to me.

.
(Pic: Dave saluting me at Leinenkugel's this summer)

 I know that keeping healthy, exercising and eating proper foods will keep me pretty darned healthy.  We've joined the Y and are participating in group exercise sessions to gain strength, maintain flexibility and keep the immune system high. Our family grows their own vegetables and consumes a large amount of locally harvested venison.  Venison is much leaner than beef - which helps the waistline as much as the exercise does.  That will suffice for health insurance for now.

I have the ability to learn new skills.  To prepare for a retirement that might be delayed by about 10 years, I will be going back to Tech School to gain certification in metal fab and welding. Apparently you cannot get a job in that skill without one- which sucks.  To start a new good career, I have to spend $5,000. BUT I am hoping to make at least $15/hour after I get my certificate.  I can save more for both retirement and emergency needs with that kind of pay.
(Pic: Dave with his method of cutting sweet corn to prepare for freezing. It takes a bundt pan, and a sharp knife)

I use my skills, my intelligence to keep this family in the things they need as cheaply as possible. I cannot remember the last time I purchased a clothing item at full price.  Hey, who needs that when I can get things slightly used at Goodwill? I'm wearing a pair of tennis shoes that are like $80 full price that I snagged for $9 and they look like they weren't worn at all. My sewing, knitting and spinning skills work well to keep us warm for the winter as well.
(Pic: Alex -albeit a much younger Alex- showing off a baked item he made from scratch)

 My son is learning to make some amazing food from scratch using recipes found on the internet.  He made a delish dish of Thai peanut chicken from scratch. Now that's a dish that would be ...what? $15 at the restaurant? He made it for less than $15 for all three of us. He is also learning the skills to make do for himself than relying on someone to make it for him.  That's a skill that he will need for the rest of his life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1000th Feedback!!!

KIP Bags by Ruddawg has gotten their 1000th feedback! In honor of this momentous occasion, I am giving away a One of a Kind KIP Bag filled with goodies. The stuff? A sampling based on the idea "A Few of my Favorite Things." What are a few of my favorite things? Well, KIP bags, of course. This one is red velvet, 10" high by 7 1/2" wide. A red velvet wrist strap allows for knitting and walking at the same time. It has a decorator fabric bottom and fancy stitching at the top to give it a more festive look. What is in the bag? The top fuzzy item is a pair of socks. Not just socks, but a pair of those fuzzy and oh so soft socks. I am a fiend for socks! I ask for a new set of socks every year for my birthday. Next is a skein of Alpaca yarn - Caramel in color. I love, love LOVE alpaca! This skein is from Blue Sky Alpacas, 120 yards of Sport Weight Yarn. The red item is my most useful tool for knitting, sewing and everything else. It's a small swiss army knife that

Secret of the Stole: Clue 3 Finished!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/secretofthestole/ Clue 3 is finished! I am knitting it in handspun 2-ply yarn on size 3 addi circular needles with beads. The beads used to be only green, now I've added lavender and gold ones also. To me, this looks like a spider and web-themed stole. Notice the 3 spiders on it? I call them spiders because they have 8 legs each.
I know the picture is not the best, but it does show the basic shape of the shawl. It's a faerose shawl, knitted for a friend of mine who will be married next month. The middle is a pattern I've memorized from somewhere, but the wings were from the Mystery Stole3 Pattern. Now the left side was the easiest: I picked up 100 stitches from the middle and just utilized the wing chart from the Mystery Stole3. The right side took some canoodling. I figured out that if I read the wing chart from the left to the right instead of the 'usual' way it would work. The last stitch was not a slip stitch, but a k2tog stitch. I then slipped that stitch and purled all the way back to the edge of the wing. It worked out well. The total knitting time was 2 weeks. I knitted like a fiend. Last Thursday I realized that I had to start school this Thursday. I knitted faster and faster. I finished it during the Packer game last night and blocked it on my son's bedroom floor.