Skip to main content

Gift Giving in the new age

As Christmas time is approaching, my mind sets on all kinds of knit objects that I could give to my family and friends.  The problem is, very few of those people actually want any gift that is not purchased from a store.  A few years ago, I spent 6 months spinning and knitting countless hats, scarves, shawls and mittens only to get some really nasty feedback.  Oh sure, to my face on Christmas day it was all "Thanks!" only to be told later on how they hated what I had made.  Not all hated them, some just put them away and never use them. It's a real downer to see something you've spent 6 months on laying on a top of a of pile mending in a dusty corner of a sewing room.

This cowl is a pattern called, 'Pretty thing'. I knitted it in a hand spun alpaca. That's when the intended recipient whom shall remain nameless (it's family) stated that she's allergic to alpaca. That was after she pronounced an allergy to pretty much every fiber out there. Oh I get it: she doesn't want anything I make, she wanted a gift card.  She got neither.  I sent the cowl to the first person that expressed interest in it on Facebook.  My high school buddy in Greece got it.


I'm going to tell you something that you don't want to hear: It is emotionally devastating to a person who creates a gift for you to have you either snub your nose at that gift, or throw it out. Yeah? You don't like hearing that? TOUGH! You want that stupid gift card from Wal-Mart Instead? Yeah, you're not getting that either! It's time to stop thinking that anything home-made is crap that is beneath you.  The true crap is that junk you covet so much at Wal-Mart.

I've got more than a chip on my shoulder, it's a flipping BRICK.


The best present I've received in recent years was created by my Father In Law.  It is a home made wooden headboard for our bed.  He took wood from his own land, made the lumber, constructed the headboard, stained and varnished it.  I will treasure it for years to come. Heck, I treasure it now.  His monetary outlay for this gift was for the electricity to run the router, and his time.

One of about a zillion reasons that I am grouchy at this time of year.  God Bless my poor husband, who has to deal with my Christmas grouchiness.  At least he will wear and appreciate what I make for him.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1000th Feedback!!!

KIP Bags by Ruddawg has gotten their 1000th feedback! In honor of this momentous occasion, I am giving away a One of a Kind KIP Bag filled with goodies. The stuff? A sampling based on the idea "A Few of my Favorite Things." What are a few of my favorite things? Well, KIP bags, of course. This one is red velvet, 10" high by 7 1/2" wide. A red velvet wrist strap allows for knitting and walking at the same time. It has a decorator fabric bottom and fancy stitching at the top to give it a more festive look. What is in the bag? The top fuzzy item is a pair of socks. Not just socks, but a pair of those fuzzy and oh so soft socks. I am a fiend for socks! I ask for a new set of socks every year for my birthday. Next is a skein of Alpaca yarn - Caramel in color. I love, love LOVE alpaca! This skein is from Blue Sky Alpacas, 120 yards of Sport Weight Yarn. The red item is my most useful tool for knitting, sewing and everything else. It's a small swiss army knife that

Secret of the Stole: Clue 3 Finished!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/secretofthestole/ Clue 3 is finished! I am knitting it in handspun 2-ply yarn on size 3 addi circular needles with beads. The beads used to be only green, now I've added lavender and gold ones also. To me, this looks like a spider and web-themed stole. Notice the 3 spiders on it? I call them spiders because they have 8 legs each.

Forgiveness and why a lot of people get it wrong

            I was at a party earlier this week having a discussion with a friend when his spouse spoke up.  She feels that I should let go of the regret and pain caused by a family member and ‘forgive’ him.  I’m sure she meant well, but whether or not I’ve forgiven that man for the pain he’s caused me and my immediate family is none of her business, nor is it any of HIS business as well.  My forgiveness, or lack thereof, is only between God and I. And I think this is where most people – even Christians- get it wrong.   They believe that #1: you should personally tell that person that you forgive them.   No, you don’t.   Forgiveness is between you and God.   And whether or not you forgive someone should not be made public.   Imagine if you did bad all your life but others would constantly say, “I forgive you”   The majority of people would just go on doing the damage they’ve been doing all along.   Only a fraction of people can grasp how their actions or words have h