Wednesday, February 10, 2016

The day no wool was knit

It's been more like a week without any real knitting. Friday before last I woke up feeling like the floor of a NYC Taxi cab. Even at work, the boss noticed. Although he thought I had gone out partying the night before.

It was a vicious cold. The remnants are still hanging on. I've got bronchitis and a set of sinsues that scream each time I cough. But the worst of it is over.

Odd though, even when I'm laying there wheezing and shivering and wishing to be unconscious, I don't knit. I'll lay there doing nothing, but I will not knit. You'd think I would just be knitting all the time since my brain is too stuffed up for any higher-level processing. Oh I know knitting can be tricky, but knitting hats is easy.

Before I started back at school, I knitted a 6' long stole for myself. It's just like 100 stitches, knitted in stockinette with the exception of the last 3 stitches on each side, to keep it from rolling. All white sock yarn, all off a 1,100 yard cone of wool from the Goodwill. It's wrapped around my head like a babushka right now because I'm cold.

I keep thinking that I should dye it. But I haven't figured out what shade to dye it yet. (Yep, that's me in the photo looking like it's morning and I've yet to drink all my coffee.Nice hair too, right?)

School is going along nicely. It's all about blood this semester, so I will have to get over that whole thing about phlebotomy and just deal with doing venipunctures on a regular basis. One clinical student came back doing like 150 venipunctures her first week! My math brain did the calculations and that's about 4-5 people an hour that had to have blood drawn. I guess I'll either get good real quick or suck at it perpetually. Me? I'll get good at it because I know it's something that I have to do and do RIGHT so people don't get hurt.

Normally, I'd be outside letting out the ducks, geese and chickens, but it's really cold out there and I want to wait about another 1/2 an hour or so before getting them out and about. Then I'll head on off to school and work. I'm the one with the most hours in Work Study at the lab/prep area so I have the place to myself for the most part, Streaking plates, getting out needed lab equipment for classes, washing glassware. It's not just a job, it's work study!  No, seriously though; by the time I get done with this my hope is to professionally isolate bacterial colonies. I've got one bacterial strain that got contaminated with another. I've been working on isolating the good from the bad. 

No comments: