Skip to main content

My unofficial week off

Both of my professors are off at a conference this week. There is some online work to be done but it's not all that difficult. Ok, one test was hideous but...what can you do?

I've had a few things on my list to do this week and they are done as well. I went to Goodwill and tried to obtain a dinner jacket for the hubbs, but the ones I chose were too small.

I visited a classmate at her bar in a small town 40 miles away. She and her hubbs just bought it. They are in the process of fixing it up. We spent the time trying to puzzle out a good menu that would get customers coming in and returning. I left her with my Chicken and Dumplings recipe.

Knitting is being done. Charity knitting as usual. My Lenten sacrifice is to reduce or stop cursing. It's moderately successful.  I've got a curse jar, and for every 10 or so pennies I put in, I have to knit another baby blanket and donate it to the pregnancy resource center. I'm not sure, but I think I'll be knitting about 40 of them by now!   Dave doesn't think it's a real sacrifice because I enjoy knitting. Sacrifice, in it's key words, means "surrender to God." which means I am surrendering my skills for God's work.   It's a tradition that all great craftsmen would surrender their skills and their best work for God. Why shouldn't I?

This is the start of the first blanket. I asked Dave to choose a colorway that I would find hideous. He chose well! The object of that is to knit something that is not my chosen color to remind myself that my preferences aren't the same as others. You must remember to stay humble.

Which is only working moderately well.

Another work in progress is an entrelac stole that has been on the needles so long that I swear it's having birthdays by now. I started it sometime ago when I found 5 skeins of Amazing on clearance. The color way is not my favorite as well.

I know of a few ladies that will be having more babies, so there is always a need for a good nursing shawl/baby wrap. They never go to waste. I like the Amazing because it is machine washable. That's a plus when working with baby items. babies have a thing about body fluids ...

In that light, it almost looks good!

Yeah, I'll knit more shawls anyways. I'm always looking out for more good clearance yarn to make shawls, blankets and throws for charity. Ever since my family decided my knitted items are not worthy of receipt, I started knitting for charity instead.

The geese are heading into breeding season or as I term it, "Saturday night Frat Party Kegger." there are fights, and shagging, and more fights.  In about a month my gals will start marking out nesting areas and laying eggs. The boys will be fighting still; but then it will be to protect their gals from perceived threats.

Face it, those ganders are just wanting to fight. I'll be staying away from them as much as possible for a while. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1000th Feedback!!!

KIP Bags by Ruddawg has gotten their 1000th feedback! In honor of this momentous occasion, I am giving away a One of a Kind KIP Bag filled with goodies. The stuff? A sampling based on the idea "A Few of my Favorite Things." What are a few of my favorite things? Well, KIP bags, of course. This one is red velvet, 10" high by 7 1/2" wide. A red velvet wrist strap allows for knitting and walking at the same time. It has a decorator fabric bottom and fancy stitching at the top to give it a more festive look. What is in the bag? The top fuzzy item is a pair of socks. Not just socks, but a pair of those fuzzy and oh so soft socks. I am a fiend for socks! I ask for a new set of socks every year for my birthday. Next is a skein of Alpaca yarn - Caramel in color. I love, love LOVE alpaca! This skein is from Blue Sky Alpacas, 120 yards of Sport Weight Yarn. The red item is my most useful tool for knitting, sewing and everything else. It's a small swiss army knife that

Secret of the Stole: Clue 3 Finished!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/secretofthestole/ Clue 3 is finished! I am knitting it in handspun 2-ply yarn on size 3 addi circular needles with beads. The beads used to be only green, now I've added lavender and gold ones also. To me, this looks like a spider and web-themed stole. Notice the 3 spiders on it? I call them spiders because they have 8 legs each.

Forgiveness and why a lot of people get it wrong

            I was at a party earlier this week having a discussion with a friend when his spouse spoke up.  She feels that I should let go of the regret and pain caused by a family member and ‘forgive’ him.  I’m sure she meant well, but whether or not I’ve forgiven that man for the pain he’s caused me and my immediate family is none of her business, nor is it any of HIS business as well.  My forgiveness, or lack thereof, is only between God and I. And I think this is where most people – even Christians- get it wrong.   They believe that #1: you should personally tell that person that you forgive them.   No, you don’t.   Forgiveness is between you and God.   And whether or not you forgive someone should not be made public.   Imagine if you did bad all your life but others would constantly say, “I forgive you”   The majority of people would just go on doing the damage they’ve been doing all along.   Only a fraction of people can grasp how their actions or words have h