Skip to main content

Diversions are a life lesson

Yesterday, my chem class was to take a lab quiz. A precursor to next week's lab final, this was to give students a refresher on how to use chemistry to ascertain what chemical is in front of them. Next week, we will be given an unknown liquid and our goal is to use chemistry to figure out what it is.

Prof. Dan hammered it into us on the first few weeks that our lab notes will be key to this adventure. "Keep good notes." he said. So I did. We will be able to use them on the final.  As the resident lab rat, I was chilling in the lab prep room before class when Prof. Dan asked if I could prepare a few samples for him. Turns out a camera crew is in for the day taping a promotional video. I prepped the chem experiment: Something that uses an indicator to tell you what's inside...by using a color change.

But here we are two hours later and the video team is still there. It's classtime! UGH. So we wait a bit, then we all go in and the video team says, "We will be taping you for this video." ok, um...How is this exactly going to help us with our quiz? It didn't actually.

If this is what it is like to be in a reality show...no thanks.

Prof. Dan needed some volunteers and most said, "No." I told them they were missing the angle on this one. "Hey, Prof. Dan? How's about some extra credit for those who volunteer?" His answer was a dodgy "maybe."

So I volunteered to have that guy with the camera videotape me pipetting the same liquid into the same tubes for about 5 minutes. Boring stuff if you ask me. As a diversion, this was heavy. Most of the students, including me, were thrown off our zone while trying to finish the lab. It was only after they wrapped up and left that most could concentrate.

But there's a lesson in that: Diversions are everywhere. Staying on track, doing your job and focusing are key.

Knittingwise: I'm working on slippers.  It's a DROPS studio pattern: felted slippers
My family goes through about 2 pair a winter, so it's time to restock. I'm using handspun wool for the most warmth.

Poultry wise: The younger ducks go to freezer camp this weekend. We've decided to keep Vito and his gals as they are older and would be tougher as a meat-source. Vito and Maria are the eldest ducks we have; about 4 years old. They've reached middle age. Age span of a duck is about 8 years.  Geese? Well, we will see. Many of the ganders will be off to freezer camp as they are getting out of hand. But that will be proabably after semester end. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1000th Feedback!!!

KIP Bags by Ruddawg has gotten their 1000th feedback! In honor of this momentous occasion, I am giving away a One of a Kind KIP Bag filled with goodies. The stuff? A sampling based on the idea "A Few of my Favorite Things." What are a few of my favorite things? Well, KIP bags, of course. This one is red velvet, 10" high by 7 1/2" wide. A red velvet wrist strap allows for knitting and walking at the same time. It has a decorator fabric bottom and fancy stitching at the top to give it a more festive look. What is in the bag? The top fuzzy item is a pair of socks. Not just socks, but a pair of those fuzzy and oh so soft socks. I am a fiend for socks! I ask for a new set of socks every year for my birthday. Next is a skein of Alpaca yarn - Caramel in color. I love, love LOVE alpaca! This skein is from Blue Sky Alpacas, 120 yards of Sport Weight Yarn. The red item is my most useful tool for knitting, sewing and everything else. It's a small swiss army knife that

Secret of the Stole: Clue 3 Finished!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/secretofthestole/ Clue 3 is finished! I am knitting it in handspun 2-ply yarn on size 3 addi circular needles with beads. The beads used to be only green, now I've added lavender and gold ones also. To me, this looks like a spider and web-themed stole. Notice the 3 spiders on it? I call them spiders because they have 8 legs each.
I know the picture is not the best, but it does show the basic shape of the shawl. It's a faerose shawl, knitted for a friend of mine who will be married next month. The middle is a pattern I've memorized from somewhere, but the wings were from the Mystery Stole3 Pattern. Now the left side was the easiest: I picked up 100 stitches from the middle and just utilized the wing chart from the Mystery Stole3. The right side took some canoodling. I figured out that if I read the wing chart from the left to the right instead of the 'usual' way it would work. The last stitch was not a slip stitch, but a k2tog stitch. I then slipped that stitch and purled all the way back to the edge of the wing. It worked out well. The total knitting time was 2 weeks. I knitted like a fiend. Last Thursday I realized that I had to start school this Thursday. I knitted faster and faster. I finished it during the Packer game last night and blocked it on my son's bedroom floor.