Skip to main content

Adventures in Minimum Wage...with skilz!

Remember that from last semester? Yeah. What did that job last? A week? HA! I've beaten that with this semesters' work study.  My work entails streaking petri dishes with bacteria, as well as inoculating broths with said bacteria. I also make more media to put into those petri dishes.
Yeah, that's more like what I do every working day

Each of these tasks is a skill. Yep, a skill I've had to learn and am still learning. Yesterday's mistake was that I should've set the media I just made into the autoclave and ran it through. TOTALLY forgot about it while I was doing other stuff.  But while I'm perfecting these skills, I'm getting $9.00 an hour instead of minimum wage. So the question I always ask about a minimum wage job with minimum wage skills is this: If I can walk into your job and with about 5 minutes of 'training' DO your job, then your skills are worth minimum wage.

I don't think that other people could do what I do with 5 minutes worth of training.

I mean, it takes 5 minutes to talk about the PPE I have to wear...every....single.........day.
Two by Two Hands of Blue (not my photo)

Lab coat, glasses (my glasses suffice for this) hair tied back and gloves. Let me tell you that before last week, I had no preference for whatever plastic gloves I was wearing. This week, depending on the amount of swelling in my hands, it's either the Large or Medium in the blue. The clear-ish ones are too thick, the lavender ones tear too easily and are too big.  Gloves should fit well because you're in them for hours and you have to do stuff that requires a degree of dexterity.

And the hand washing, and the level of attention needed to keep from contaminating stuff and the usage of *this* chemical for glass and *that* chemical for plastic and that makes this job more meticulous than your normal flipping burger shit at Mickey D's.

And honestly, I think ANY person who works retail should be paid more than minimum at the get-go. The amount of stuff you're required to do during your shift is ridiculous. Work the register AND restock shelves AND keep stuff clean AND watch for shoplifters AND put away the extra cash AND help out customers. I mean............really? If you're paying $7.50...I'm a fucking cashier and that's it. I'll help whomever is sitting on the other side of this checkout stand but I'll be DAMNED if I'm rushing around putting stuff away while constantly checking for customers.

It would be like making MickeyD workers clean up CONSTANTLY while taking orders...OH and don't forget to restock stuff too! Ugh.

BUT.........back to work study. The remainder of this semester is training for next semester when the lab manager is going to be on clinicals, so someone else will be running that part of the lab. Gosh, I hope it's not me, but ...who knows.

Yes, I made a doily and this is a crappy shot of it. I've not crocheted in years due to it hurting my hand so much. It took me a few weeks to get it done and the pattern is called 'ripe wheat.' I gifted it to a couple for a housewarming gift. They're both farmers of a sort; work on the farm, write about farms, deliver feed to farms, but live in town. Kinda the best of both worlds.

BTW, I'll never crochet in wool/nylon yarn again. It was a stupid idea born of the fact that I was impatient and didn't wait another day to go to the store and buy some cotton thread. Oh well. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1000th Feedback!!!

KIP Bags by Ruddawg has gotten their 1000th feedback! In honor of this momentous occasion, I am giving away a One of a Kind KIP Bag filled with goodies. The stuff? A sampling based on the idea "A Few of my Favorite Things." What are a few of my favorite things? Well, KIP bags, of course. This one is red velvet, 10" high by 7 1/2" wide. A red velvet wrist strap allows for knitting and walking at the same time. It has a decorator fabric bottom and fancy stitching at the top to give it a more festive look. What is in the bag? The top fuzzy item is a pair of socks. Not just socks, but a pair of those fuzzy and oh so soft socks. I am a fiend for socks! I ask for a new set of socks every year for my birthday. Next is a skein of Alpaca yarn - Caramel in color. I love, love LOVE alpaca! This skein is from Blue Sky Alpacas, 120 yards of Sport Weight Yarn. The red item is my most useful tool for knitting, sewing and everything else. It's a small swiss army knife that

Secret of the Stole: Clue 3 Finished!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/secretofthestole/ Clue 3 is finished! I am knitting it in handspun 2-ply yarn on size 3 addi circular needles with beads. The beads used to be only green, now I've added lavender and gold ones also. To me, this looks like a spider and web-themed stole. Notice the 3 spiders on it? I call them spiders because they have 8 legs each.
I know the picture is not the best, but it does show the basic shape of the shawl. It's a faerose shawl, knitted for a friend of mine who will be married next month. The middle is a pattern I've memorized from somewhere, but the wings were from the Mystery Stole3 Pattern. Now the left side was the easiest: I picked up 100 stitches from the middle and just utilized the wing chart from the Mystery Stole3. The right side took some canoodling. I figured out that if I read the wing chart from the left to the right instead of the 'usual' way it would work. The last stitch was not a slip stitch, but a k2tog stitch. I then slipped that stitch and purled all the way back to the edge of the wing. It worked out well. The total knitting time was 2 weeks. I knitted like a fiend. Last Thursday I realized that I had to start school this Thursday. I knitted faster and faster. I finished it during the Packer game last night and blocked it on my son's bedroom floor.