Skip to main content

Semester Break

Classes start again at the end of the month. I'm using the time to rest. Usually that would mean not doing much, but in my case it means doing what I want to do instead of have to do. So....I'm knitting, spinning and sewing.

The first up is the baby quilt fresh off the sewing machine. It's a zig-zag pattern that is inspired by something I saw on Pinterest. No, really! I actually DID something I saw on Pinterest! The pattern is a bugger though. In order to get the zig-zag lines to come out right, you need to put a solid color between the patterned pieces and keep the same solid color throughout. I sewed a top last Saturday that was just tragic because the lighter stripes were not consistent.

The gray thing is a sweater. It's from the book Men's Knits: 20 New Classics . It's the one called the Tweed Cabled Sweater.  It is one sleeve short of completion. I was knitting this for any male in my house, but a preliminary pre-blocking fit test showed that I'm the only one that can fit in it. The size is the largest in the pattern, and the yarn is Lion Brand Fisherman's wool in oatmeal. The needles are 10 1/2 for the body with a smaller one for the cuffs.

Pattern-wise, it's doing well. Some of the wording on how to end off the thing is just ..wonky. But I'm making do. Good thing I know how to sew! It makes visualizing how the tops of the pattern should look. You sew enough patterns, you know what the sleeve and neckline should look.

The spinning is on the drop spindle because I lost a lock nut on my spinning wheel. I'll need to pick up another one of those before I can spin. With all the kids in and out of here, I'm surprised that my wheel doesn't get more things missing off of it. Kids are drawn to the thing like a magnet and LOVE to treadle it. Slight heart attacks are known to happen when they do that and I'm not around.  I try to keep yarn off the bobbin so they don't skew up the poor thing by treadling.

Drop spindles are good for this kind of spinning anyways. It's bits of wool I got off of Etsy in varying colors. I think there's a need about this time of year to see COLOR, any color others than white or shades of gray. the colors in the selection lift my spirits as I spin. Right now, it's the length of blue that turns to green. This selection is end bits off of roving this Etsy seller creates. 4 ounces costs me about $13 with shipping. The sellers' name is Stefknits.

 Like I said, many colors in this selection. One bit made me want to knit it up right away, so I'm in the process of knitting up a pair of fingerless mitts. The colors range from dark red to aqua and are just mesmerizing. Fingerless mitts showcase the color changes nicely. They are also great for when you're doing your homework and your hands are cold.

And the last thing knitted quickly was another pair of minion slippers. They are not completed. They need to be sewn up and have minion eyes put on them. I whipped them up in a day but man....can't get the gumption up to actuall finish them! Oh well. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1000th Feedback!!!

KIP Bags by Ruddawg has gotten their 1000th feedback! In honor of this momentous occasion, I am giving away a One of a Kind KIP Bag filled with goodies. The stuff? A sampling based on the idea "A Few of my Favorite Things." What are a few of my favorite things? Well, KIP bags, of course. This one is red velvet, 10" high by 7 1/2" wide. A red velvet wrist strap allows for knitting and walking at the same time. It has a decorator fabric bottom and fancy stitching at the top to give it a more festive look. What is in the bag? The top fuzzy item is a pair of socks. Not just socks, but a pair of those fuzzy and oh so soft socks. I am a fiend for socks! I ask for a new set of socks every year for my birthday. Next is a skein of Alpaca yarn - Caramel in color. I love, love LOVE alpaca! This skein is from Blue Sky Alpacas, 120 yards of Sport Weight Yarn. The red item is my most useful tool for knitting, sewing and everything else. It's a small swiss army knife that

Secret of the Stole: Clue 3 Finished!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/secretofthestole/ Clue 3 is finished! I am knitting it in handspun 2-ply yarn on size 3 addi circular needles with beads. The beads used to be only green, now I've added lavender and gold ones also. To me, this looks like a spider and web-themed stole. Notice the 3 spiders on it? I call them spiders because they have 8 legs each.
I know the picture is not the best, but it does show the basic shape of the shawl. It's a faerose shawl, knitted for a friend of mine who will be married next month. The middle is a pattern I've memorized from somewhere, but the wings were from the Mystery Stole3 Pattern. Now the left side was the easiest: I picked up 100 stitches from the middle and just utilized the wing chart from the Mystery Stole3. The right side took some canoodling. I figured out that if I read the wing chart from the left to the right instead of the 'usual' way it would work. The last stitch was not a slip stitch, but a k2tog stitch. I then slipped that stitch and purled all the way back to the edge of the wing. It worked out well. The total knitting time was 2 weeks. I knitted like a fiend. Last Thursday I realized that I had to start school this Thursday. I knitted faster and faster. I finished it during the Packer game last night and blocked it on my son's bedroom floor.