Skip to main content

Nature, thou art a heartless bitch.........

Technically, it's Spring.  Technically is the key word here. Let's take a look outside, shall we?


Yeah, that's a loaner car next to the van, my car's in the shop again. ~sigh~  My family keeps asking me why I go to the dealer to get my car worked on when there's others who would do it cheaper.  Yeah, but they don't give me loaner cars.  I've got things to do every. single. day. that require a car.

And the car rental places charge $50/day for a car.  So...is that really cheaper than the dealer? No. Not even close!  And like I told the Supervisor over there on Friday, I'm giving those mechanics a chance to learn how to fix 'old school' cars without computers, with carburetors etc.  They need the challenge, right?

I've been working on a new shawl pattern called, "Blessed Days."  The first one was knitted from handspun wool from a grab bag offered on Etsy. I emailed the lady the pattern, thought she could use it as a marketing tool to sell her grab bags; offered it for free nonetheless.  Not a word, not an utterance from the seller. Meh.

So the pattern goes up today. This is considered the "Blessed Days." in the Lenten tradition.  It's Holy Week.   We've got a new gal goose in the flock: Molly.  I think I might have related that story, so I'll give you the small version: My BIL found a lady about 3 miles from here with a Toulouse Goose flock. He asked if she were willing to sell a gal, she said yes.  That was before Christmas.  With all the car breakdowns, cold weather and illness, I only got back to the lady week before last.  It's lambing time for her, so I did not take up much of her time.  We bought a year old Toulouse gal from her and took her home.

Buddy's reaction to the new girl was to chase her away. Great, wonderful. BUT....Percy is taking a liking to her. Molly did not have a name when we got her, but since this is our breeding flock, she gets a name. Molly Weasley to be specific; all the other names are from the Weasley family: Ron, Percy, George, Fred...

Yeah, we started calling Sweet Pea and Ginny "Fred and George" since they're almost twins and never go anywhere without each other. I can tell them apart, but Dave has trouble. They're troublemakers as well.

Had to cull one of the banty hens last night with a prolapsed uterus. The majority of the time, the fix for that kind of thing does not work.  So instead of putting us and her through a weeks' worth of stuff, I just had Dave kill her fast and quick.  We've got two broody hens laying on another batch of babies, plus the Mama who hatched out 5 and has 2 left.  Two were frozen and one disappeared.  They're cute little buggers, no bigger than a spool of thread:

Besides, my Spring Break week is done, and I'm expecting 11 ducks to hatch in the next two weeks. No time for one banty hen that dressed out as small as a cornish game hen.  Got a lot of feathers though.

So now that I'm done with the Blessed Days non-handspun version, I'm working on a cabled stole from wool and some hexipuffs to get rid of my stash of bits of yarn. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1000th Feedback!!!

KIP Bags by Ruddawg has gotten their 1000th feedback! In honor of this momentous occasion, I am giving away a One of a Kind KIP Bag filled with goodies. The stuff? A sampling based on the idea "A Few of my Favorite Things." What are a few of my favorite things? Well, KIP bags, of course. This one is red velvet, 10" high by 7 1/2" wide. A red velvet wrist strap allows for knitting and walking at the same time. It has a decorator fabric bottom and fancy stitching at the top to give it a more festive look. What is in the bag? The top fuzzy item is a pair of socks. Not just socks, but a pair of those fuzzy and oh so soft socks. I am a fiend for socks! I ask for a new set of socks every year for my birthday. Next is a skein of Alpaca yarn - Caramel in color. I love, love LOVE alpaca! This skein is from Blue Sky Alpacas, 120 yards of Sport Weight Yarn. The red item is my most useful tool for knitting, sewing and everything else. It's a small swiss army knife that

Secret of the Stole: Clue 3 Finished!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/secretofthestole/ Clue 3 is finished! I am knitting it in handspun 2-ply yarn on size 3 addi circular needles with beads. The beads used to be only green, now I've added lavender and gold ones also. To me, this looks like a spider and web-themed stole. Notice the 3 spiders on it? I call them spiders because they have 8 legs each.
I know the picture is not the best, but it does show the basic shape of the shawl. It's a faerose shawl, knitted for a friend of mine who will be married next month. The middle is a pattern I've memorized from somewhere, but the wings were from the Mystery Stole3 Pattern. Now the left side was the easiest: I picked up 100 stitches from the middle and just utilized the wing chart from the Mystery Stole3. The right side took some canoodling. I figured out that if I read the wing chart from the left to the right instead of the 'usual' way it would work. The last stitch was not a slip stitch, but a k2tog stitch. I then slipped that stitch and purled all the way back to the edge of the wing. It worked out well. The total knitting time was 2 weeks. I knitted like a fiend. Last Thursday I realized that I had to start school this Thursday. I knitted faster and faster. I finished it during the Packer game last night and blocked it on my son's bedroom floor.