Skip to main content

Factory Life


It has been my experience that everyone *should* spend at least a summer doing a stint in a factory.  Doesn't matter which one, but the time spent as a factory worker would make you a lot more aware of the world around you.  Why? Because I honestly don't think those people who work in the front office (lovingly termed the 'suits') know what is going on behind those production doors.



Now in the last 40 years of my working life, I've spent about 18 or so of them in a factory setting of some sort.  From making food, to metal parts, to plastic trays, it's been made on a machine and my job has been to take what has been produced from that machine, put it in a box or a cart and move it away.



My first job after high school of any note was at a factory that made plastic trays.  What was great about it was that the shifts were 4 hours long, and you got a break of 15 minutes.  Little did I know at the time, but that was not par for the course in a factory.  The work was not taxing, although a little  hot in the summer.  To supplement that paycheck, I took a job in another factory that offered mini-shifts.  The work was also not taxing and it supplemented life as a young adult well. You never had to worry about OT -- it was voluntary and the hours were set.



Fast forward 20 years or more and I decided enough was enough. I had been dealt a bad hand in the Micro Lab as one food factory and NEEDED income. Let me tell you a bad, sad little secret:



Age discrimination is alive and thriving in America.



The HR people will bring you in for an interview and you can tell the exact moment when you are deemed too old for their position.  The look on their face is both sad and priceless. And then there's the lame reasons why you didn't get the job.  I was once told that I did not show enough respect for the interviewers because they took me into the facility where the instruments were that I was expected to run.  Because I went over to that instrument and took a look at it, it was considered a disrespect of the interviewer, who TOLD me it was OK to do it.



My response to the recruiter when told of this was, "OK, so you have them put me in the room with the pretty lights and then I can't get the job because I looked at the pretty lights? That's so lame."

But back to factory work. Some of the biggest issues I have with it from going back to this kind of work is telling of a new mentality of the Suits:
1. There was a comment made at a benefits meeting about how work was your 'Second Family' Yeah, no.  I've got one family, and my job is my JOB. Not family.  I treat my family better than that. Perspective needs to be changed back to 'It's your job. Do it well and you can go back to your family

2. Breaks: 2 - 10 minute breaks and one 15 minute break for lunch.  Except here's the deal: Break starts once you step away from your machine. So if it takes you 5 minutes to walk to the breakroom, and 5 minutes to walk back...........you've just taken your 10 minute 'walking break'  and 15 minutes for lunch? Really? again...........you start it when you walk away from your job, but this time you get a whole FIVE MINUTES to eat food, pee and get back to it.
          Honestly, 25 years ago, we got 15 minutes for a break and it started when we got to the      breakroom. And just because you cannot think that hiring a person who's job it would be is to relieve people on their machines so they can take a proper break, isn't a reason to make them work 8 hours with a 5 minute lunch.

3. Honesty in the job description.  I was interviewing for this job and the interviewer asked if I   was ok with 'Some Saturdays" which I thought meant, maybe 2 Saturdays a month.........tops.   NOPE! It means EVERY SATURDAY FOR THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE.
          Had they been honest, I would've passed on the job.  6 days a week, 48 hours and I've got   commitments to the farm and to the work here and that takes more than 4 days a month to take   care of.  And with the sunset being so early now, no work can get done out in the frozen tundra  in the dark.

4. What's with the wonky shift hours?  So the interviewer "First shift starts at 6:30. Can you     deal with that?" Yeah, except it really starts at 6 :15.  You need to be standing in front of a board - clocked in, wearing the steel toed boots (purchased by you before you even earn a paycheck) Safety glasses and Earplugs - by 6:20 or you're fired.  So ...................First Shift  starts at 6:15...........be truthful about it.
            And getting up at 4:30 am to be to work by 6 so I can be ready by 6:15 is a bitch.  I'm a night owl and this is really messing me up physically and mentally. I feel 50 iq points more stupid because I cannot rest properly. My digestive system isn't working and I feel nauseous all the time.  Not helping the attitude at all.


5. Making rate vs, putting the info into the system.  Ok, do you want me to make rate or do you  want me dicking around with your Plex system? Plex is an inventory system that is supposed    ;  to be able to track your parts and your employees with great precision, BUT at the cost of productivity. I've seen more time wasted trying to get that stupid inventory system to work   properly so that an employee can get back to cranking out parts.
   And labels have bar codes, which should make it easy to do this, right? no. Not a bar code reader to be seen! ONE TIME I was able to use a bar code reader to save time for the job, but even then.........the label printed half-assed so that the bar code reader couldn't read the #.


The manufacturing realm of workers are a great bunch of people: hard working, honest, smart, and helpful.  It's the 'Suits' who bring down a factory with their attitude.  They think that every employee that works on the production floor is there to dime the system somehow.

In the case of this factory, they contend that production is lacking and that the employees need to work every Saturday because they can't hire enough people. It's down to the ones working to make up for the lack of the other workers.

Except it isn't.

It's poor planning, plain and simple.  For example, I can 'plan' on having an income of $200,000.00 next year and then spend the next year complaining to my employer that I'm not making enough per hour to cover that. I know exactly what my boss would say: "Your plan is unworkable. Change it."
But these guys have made a plan with X amount of workers and they're about 20 people short per shift, so its on the ones working to make up that lack because.............why?
No, it's not. If you cannot get an extra 20 workers, then reduce the plan. Don't make it the worker's fault that you cannot plan correctly.  You'll lose MORE workers by over-working them. I'm not into spending more time at a job than I was promised.
And that's one very good reason WHY the 'Suits' should spend at least a Summer working as a factory worker.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1000th Feedback!!!

KIP Bags by Ruddawg has gotten their 1000th feedback! In honor of this momentous occasion, I am giving away a One of a Kind KIP Bag filled with goodies. The stuff? A sampling based on the idea "A Few of my Favorite Things." What are a few of my favorite things? Well, KIP bags, of course. This one is red velvet, 10" high by 7 1/2" wide. A red velvet wrist strap allows for knitting and walking at the same time. It has a decorator fabric bottom and fancy stitching at the top to give it a more festive look. What is in the bag? The top fuzzy item is a pair of socks. Not just socks, but a pair of those fuzzy and oh so soft socks. I am a fiend for socks! I ask for a new set of socks every year for my birthday. Next is a skein of Alpaca yarn - Caramel in color. I love, love LOVE alpaca! This skein is from Blue Sky Alpacas, 120 yards of Sport Weight Yarn. The red item is my most useful tool for knitting, sewing and everything else. It's a small swiss army knife that

Secret of the Stole: Clue 3 Finished!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/secretofthestole/ Clue 3 is finished! I am knitting it in handspun 2-ply yarn on size 3 addi circular needles with beads. The beads used to be only green, now I've added lavender and gold ones also. To me, this looks like a spider and web-themed stole. Notice the 3 spiders on it? I call them spiders because they have 8 legs each.
I know the picture is not the best, but it does show the basic shape of the shawl. It's a faerose shawl, knitted for a friend of mine who will be married next month. The middle is a pattern I've memorized from somewhere, but the wings were from the Mystery Stole3 Pattern. Now the left side was the easiest: I picked up 100 stitches from the middle and just utilized the wing chart from the Mystery Stole3. The right side took some canoodling. I figured out that if I read the wing chart from the left to the right instead of the 'usual' way it would work. The last stitch was not a slip stitch, but a k2tog stitch. I then slipped that stitch and purled all the way back to the edge of the wing. It worked out well. The total knitting time was 2 weeks. I knitted like a fiend. Last Thursday I realized that I had to start school this Thursday. I knitted faster and faster. I finished it during the Packer game last night and blocked it on my son's bedroom floor.