Skip to main content

Establishing a protocol for fostering incubated goslings and such.

Newer laptop, forgive me if I scream a few times. I get random glitches when I type for too long.

So we've been incubating eggs for a while now and this is the first year that I've had a ton of issues with it. Two sets of eggs  have died within the shell before I could even sneak them under a mama goose. Then there was the chicken, who would not stop being broody, so we stuck a duck egg under her.  So now we have Dobby the duck with a hen as it's mom. It's working out fine right now, even though the Dobby is almost as big as his/her mom and s/he's only 3 weeks old.

We honestly didn't think she'd sit long enough to hatch a baby duck. That's at least a week more brooding time than a chicken. But she did and the only assistance we gave her was to move her nest
down to the lower level when the duck was hatched so it could get out easily.

They wander around and I make sure there are puddles for the little one to drink and wash from. Now the duck is big enough to jump into the sled we turned into a pool, so I'm happy to see her/him washing while Mama is around scratching for food. The difference in species doesn't seem to make any problems.

So we've had 3 goose girls in the coop playing hot potato with their eggs. Georgie and her daughters Minerva and Pavarti have nests in there and when one goes out, the other sits on the nest but leaves another one open. The eggs get cold and any hope of a baby goes with that egg freezing.

I decided to start candling the eggs when they do that, and any viable ones go into the incubator. We had one that internally pipped a few days ago, so I popped it under Carrie, who is brooding in the garage. She's been brooding the longest and has been consistent. The egg hatched last night, and this morning the baby was out seeing the world. Daddy Aberforth has been his very attentive self.

We've had to put barriers between him and other brooding mamas because he keeps chasing them out of the garage. So there's a concrete block here, bale of straw there, and the girls are hidden from Ab's wrath as Daddy.

I am still surprised at the role that males take in raising their kids within the realm of geese. Right now, Ron has his kids out every day with Auntie Luna as the kids' Mom has adopted another nest full of eggs and has gone broody again. Then Auntie Eleanor joined her.

 So every day, Daddy Ron takes Remus and Nymphadora out and they graze grass, take baths and wander around together. Ron takes his role quite seriously. I've remarked to Dave that it's great that Ron has finally found his 'cojones' so to speak. He was quite the neurotic dude there for a while.

One day soon we have to wrap up Nymphadora's wing as she has angel-wing. It's simple to fix, IF and that's a big IF you can keep the wrappings on them for at least 3 days, 4 is best. Then the wing is trained to go where it should and she'll have no problem with it.

Knitting wise: I've graduated from washcloths to burp cloths. Well, actually we're using them on the arms of our recliners to keep them nice and pretty. I've discovered Hobby Lobby's "I love this cotton" which is the SOFTEST cotton I've ever worked with. Right now, my local store has some colorways on clearance for under $2 so I'm snagging them while I'm in town selling plasma. It's kind of a reward for buckling down and dealing with the pain of venipuncture twice a week. Photos later. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1000th Feedback!!!

KIP Bags by Ruddawg has gotten their 1000th feedback! In honor of this momentous occasion, I am giving away a One of a Kind KIP Bag filled with goodies. The stuff? A sampling based on the idea "A Few of my Favorite Things." What are a few of my favorite things? Well, KIP bags, of course. This one is red velvet, 10" high by 7 1/2" wide. A red velvet wrist strap allows for knitting and walking at the same time. It has a decorator fabric bottom and fancy stitching at the top to give it a more festive look. What is in the bag? The top fuzzy item is a pair of socks. Not just socks, but a pair of those fuzzy and oh so soft socks. I am a fiend for socks! I ask for a new set of socks every year for my birthday. Next is a skein of Alpaca yarn - Caramel in color. I love, love LOVE alpaca! This skein is from Blue Sky Alpacas, 120 yards of Sport Weight Yarn. The red item is my most useful tool for knitting, sewing and everything else. It's a small swiss army knife that

Secret of the Stole: Clue 3 Finished!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/secretofthestole/ Clue 3 is finished! I am knitting it in handspun 2-ply yarn on size 3 addi circular needles with beads. The beads used to be only green, now I've added lavender and gold ones also. To me, this looks like a spider and web-themed stole. Notice the 3 spiders on it? I call them spiders because they have 8 legs each.
I know the picture is not the best, but it does show the basic shape of the shawl. It's a faerose shawl, knitted for a friend of mine who will be married next month. The middle is a pattern I've memorized from somewhere, but the wings were from the Mystery Stole3 Pattern. Now the left side was the easiest: I picked up 100 stitches from the middle and just utilized the wing chart from the Mystery Stole3. The right side took some canoodling. I figured out that if I read the wing chart from the left to the right instead of the 'usual' way it would work. The last stitch was not a slip stitch, but a k2tog stitch. I then slipped that stitch and purled all the way back to the edge of the wing. It worked out well. The total knitting time was 2 weeks. I knitted like a fiend. Last Thursday I realized that I had to start school this Thursday. I knitted faster and faster. I finished it during the Packer game last night and blocked it on my son's bedroom floor.