Skip to main content

Finish or Frog Fifteen

That's what I'm calling this year: Finish or Frog 15.

Finished:

Squishy Cowl named Limburger.
Dave and I went to the Monroe Cheese festival this year. It was an anniversary year so it was a crush of people. Wisconsin cheese makers set up a huge tent on the square and offer up samples of their best. Along the other sides of the square are fund raising tents, a reenactment of cheese making done 100 years ago, and some nice yodelers in Lederhosen.  One fundraising tent was to take the Limburger test.

For $3 you got to sample Limburger, the smelliest cheese there is. You got the choice between 'fresh' Limburger or "about to go bad." I chose "about to go bad." The taste? Beer cheese. Tasted like Beer cheese.  Now add a bit of mustard on that and it tasted good. I'd do it again..with beer.  But..as we moved from one side of the block to the other, the crush of people got so bad near the yodeling bandstand that we were smack upside the shops. Then Dave notices a yarn shop up ahead. We went in, I bought this lush baby Alpaca yarn and made a nice soft thing for my neck. Only took me, what? 6 months to finish?  The pattern is called the scrunchable cowl on Ravelry. If I were to do it again, I'd add another repeat as I don't like things so close to my neck.

A pair of mitts and a coordinating cowl made from Kashmere Kisses from Ho Lo (Hobby Lobby) Honestly, I don't know why this yarn wasn't more popular. It's uber-soft and nice to work with. I bought several skeins on clearance and made myself a nice set. Too bad I don't have enough for a hat. Oh well.

The mitts are knitted with a made-up pattern. CO a multiple of 4 on dpns: probably 44 knit 2 purl 2 for about 2" then stockinette. For a thumb increase, I do a Kfb then increase every other row doing that until I have about 10-13 more stitches. Then I cast off those stitches and in the next round I add another 4 by backwards loop. Just for fun, the middle 2 of those stitches is purled so I know where to start my cast off. Top 1" is k1 p1 ribbing.

The cowl is the pattern named Ithacowl in Ravelry. A mistaken rib pattern that frustrated me because it was a simple k2 p2 and then drift the next row over 1...I finally had to put a stitch marker in. AHHH! LOL.. I know most people already do that. I'm lazy; most of the time stitch markers are not at hand.

Frogged:
One stupid project in which I tried to use mohair to make cables. EW
Next up for frogging: A hideous lace project with way too large of beads, an entrelace stole started but never finished in that hideous colorway Joshua tree from Lion Brand Amazing. I never did like those colors much. Then I get to do some sleuthing work and determine if I knitted that Queen Anne's Lace shawl correctly. You see, the pattern is an older version and you really needed to pay attention to the row #'s. If one wasn't shown in the pattern, you were to knit that row plainly. Yeah. I never did pay that much attention................Maybe I did, but I'm betting I didn't. It will need to be frogged. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1000th Feedback!!!

KIP Bags by Ruddawg has gotten their 1000th feedback! In honor of this momentous occasion, I am giving away a One of a Kind KIP Bag filled with goodies. The stuff? A sampling based on the idea "A Few of my Favorite Things." What are a few of my favorite things? Well, KIP bags, of course. This one is red velvet, 10" high by 7 1/2" wide. A red velvet wrist strap allows for knitting and walking at the same time. It has a decorator fabric bottom and fancy stitching at the top to give it a more festive look. What is in the bag? The top fuzzy item is a pair of socks. Not just socks, but a pair of those fuzzy and oh so soft socks. I am a fiend for socks! I ask for a new set of socks every year for my birthday. Next is a skein of Alpaca yarn - Caramel in color. I love, love LOVE alpaca! This skein is from Blue Sky Alpacas, 120 yards of Sport Weight Yarn. The red item is my most useful tool for knitting, sewing and everything else. It's a small swiss army knife that

Secret of the Stole: Clue 3 Finished!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/secretofthestole/ Clue 3 is finished! I am knitting it in handspun 2-ply yarn on size 3 addi circular needles with beads. The beads used to be only green, now I've added lavender and gold ones also. To me, this looks like a spider and web-themed stole. Notice the 3 spiders on it? I call them spiders because they have 8 legs each.
I know the picture is not the best, but it does show the basic shape of the shawl. It's a faerose shawl, knitted for a friend of mine who will be married next month. The middle is a pattern I've memorized from somewhere, but the wings were from the Mystery Stole3 Pattern. Now the left side was the easiest: I picked up 100 stitches from the middle and just utilized the wing chart from the Mystery Stole3. The right side took some canoodling. I figured out that if I read the wing chart from the left to the right instead of the 'usual' way it would work. The last stitch was not a slip stitch, but a k2tog stitch. I then slipped that stitch and purled all the way back to the edge of the wing. It worked out well. The total knitting time was 2 weeks. I knitted like a fiend. Last Thursday I realized that I had to start school this Thursday. I knitted faster and faster. I finished it during the Packer game last night and blocked it on my son's bedroom floor.