Skip to main content

Yes, I am quiet..maybe too quiet?

I came to a crossroads of sort in my student career.  URock is refusing to allow me to take any more classes there due to some stupid f*cked up rule about maximum credits. Dude, it's all within the University of Wisconsin system anyhow, who gives a rat's hairy bottom if I take Statics in Janesville or Platteville. Apparently these people are SO stuck into their rigid rules and regulations that they cannot see they are losing students to it.

I panicked, tried to think of a way that I could save myself the 4 hour round trip to Platteville every stinking work day and could not. This is Wisconsin, y'all - 9 months of winter and 3 months of bad ice-skating- it's not cool to spend that much time on icy winter roads! So..transfer to Whitewater (only 1 hour away) and major in Math until I could transfer to Madison? I bounced it off of David.

"What are you going to do with a BS in Math?" he questioned.
"I don't know, calculate my unemployment?" My answer.

 And as I thought about it more and more, my brain came to a revelation. What the HELL are you doing, woman? Why are you spending so much time, effort and money on some pie-in-the-sky Engineering degree that may or may not happen!?!? Face it people. I'm 45 years old. Ageism is a thing...a REAL thing. People think the older you get, the more feeble you are. Even in a career such as this where physical prowess is not necessary, they *think* everyone over the age of 40 is just a bundle of medical infirmities.

As I came to this conclusion, staring at my Calculus 2 homework, the whole thing became trite. WTF is all this useless knowledge for? So I made a decision to essentially listen to my own advice. Sure, $85,000 a year is nice. I'm not going to say it's not. but there's no guarantee it will happen. BUT my family needs to eat, and honestly? I'm sick of being dirt-poor. I'm going to go get a skill, not a career. I'm going to get a job, not a dream.

I'll be meeting with an advisor at BTC to discuss what courses can transfer to their diploma for Medical Lab Assistant. Yep, draw blood, perform CBC's get paid about 20 bucks an hour. It's a job. It puts food on the table and with any luck I can get it done before I hit 50.

And as I look at my coursework right now, it's all very trite...useless info that I will not need. Circuits has always been a joke. My professor cannot pull his ass out of a wet paper bag for anything. Honestly, he should've retired by now and left the new digital age to a younger, more electronically adept professor. I'm sick of his inability to even run an online Blackboard Collaborative class.  And really, the whole "Collaboration" between URock/Platteville is a fucking joke. The only collaboration I'm seeing is that Platteville can take thousands of dollars for a crap education. Not a person over there wants to pull their lazy asses out of their cushy offices to drive 2 hours to Janesville.

The math is much more fun, no really! I like Calculus. I like the challenge of it. It's a puzzle in need of solution. My classmates are great and we help each other out a lot. I will miss that part of it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1000th Feedback!!!

KIP Bags by Ruddawg has gotten their 1000th feedback! In honor of this momentous occasion, I am giving away a One of a Kind KIP Bag filled with goodies. The stuff? A sampling based on the idea "A Few of my Favorite Things." What are a few of my favorite things? Well, KIP bags, of course. This one is red velvet, 10" high by 7 1/2" wide. A red velvet wrist strap allows for knitting and walking at the same time. It has a decorator fabric bottom and fancy stitching at the top to give it a more festive look. What is in the bag? The top fuzzy item is a pair of socks. Not just socks, but a pair of those fuzzy and oh so soft socks. I am a fiend for socks! I ask for a new set of socks every year for my birthday. Next is a skein of Alpaca yarn - Caramel in color. I love, love LOVE alpaca! This skein is from Blue Sky Alpacas, 120 yards of Sport Weight Yarn. The red item is my most useful tool for knitting, sewing and everything else. It's a small swiss army knife that

Secret of the Stole: Clue 3 Finished!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/secretofthestole/ Clue 3 is finished! I am knitting it in handspun 2-ply yarn on size 3 addi circular needles with beads. The beads used to be only green, now I've added lavender and gold ones also. To me, this looks like a spider and web-themed stole. Notice the 3 spiders on it? I call them spiders because they have 8 legs each.
I know the picture is not the best, but it does show the basic shape of the shawl. It's a faerose shawl, knitted for a friend of mine who will be married next month. The middle is a pattern I've memorized from somewhere, but the wings were from the Mystery Stole3 Pattern. Now the left side was the easiest: I picked up 100 stitches from the middle and just utilized the wing chart from the Mystery Stole3. The right side took some canoodling. I figured out that if I read the wing chart from the left to the right instead of the 'usual' way it would work. The last stitch was not a slip stitch, but a k2tog stitch. I then slipped that stitch and purled all the way back to the edge of the wing. It worked out well. The total knitting time was 2 weeks. I knitted like a fiend. Last Thursday I realized that I had to start school this Thursday. I knitted faster and faster. I finished it during the Packer game last night and blocked it on my son's bedroom floor.