Skip to main content
Calculus is going decently.  I sit in the back of the class next to a young man who has had the pleasure of being in two classes with me. He reminds me much of my son, Alex but with ambition.

So, Alex got discharged from the Marines for failing to meet their physical criteria.  Right now he's thinking that he'll spend 2 years copping a squat on my couch while going to community college.  Meh.  I'm still ticked about that, but apparently my prayers and my wishes will never be taken into play with his life. That's the way it goes, I guess.

(I'd credit the photo, but I'm pretty sure it's from a meme generator.)

Poultry is well, except for Daisy the Duck who got into a fight with like 1/2 the flock and was injured.
Now there's a nice, melodic story about picking maggots out of wounds that I could share, but why? It's bad enough that I got to DO it. Suffice it to say she's healed from her external wounds, but will need another month convalescing inside with that sprained foot. I snagged a nice, large wire animal kennel at a rummage sale for $5 about a month ago.  It's come in very handy to use to allow animals recuperation time in the laundry room.

We've put ducks up for sale on craigslist.  Cue the wackadoodles in 3...........2................1.  I tried to explain that phenomena to Dave, but he only saw the results of the last craigslist post, not the ton of wackadoodle emails that I got.  He doesn't want to butcher all of these ducks. I'll do it if I have to.

The WI Sheep & Wool festival went on without me this year. I had to help Dave cook meat for the Church's annual dinner/harvest fest. Up at 5:30 am and down to the church, we spent all day cooking large beef roasts.  This year it was crucial that they be cooked to perfection. Last year the reviews was that the beef was tough and dry.  The reviews were one reason Dave's partner in the cooking venture quit the church. There were other reasons, but I'm not going to get into it.

So no one else volunteered, and I sacrificed my happy day at Sheep & Wool to help.  The reviews were awesome, and Dave's been crowned KING of beef for the church.  His reputation - and the church's - has been saved. And we've got a volunteer to help Dave for next year. So back to Sheep and Wool I go.

Karma came back to me for helping, though. One of the guild members announced that she was selling some of her yarn stash at a rummage sale last week. I snagged 3 skeins of laceweight yarn 50/50 wool/silk for under 10 bucks!  The purple is above and the red to the left were part of that, plus a ball of Zauberball laceweight in my favorite hues of orange to red to purple. That and the fleece I bought online should keep me in knitting and spinning nirvana until next year.

The bag with the Vinylex is full of a plastic 'yarn' that is glow in the dark.  I also got that at the rummage sale for a buck. I don't know what I'll do with it, but hey...it's a buck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer!

Yes, Sissy's death has been a big blow to all of us. We miss her terribly. We suspect she became egg-bound, a condition that is most often fatal in poultry. She had not laid eggs this year and I knew she'd been shagged. There are a few things you can do, but you have to know that she's egg bound to start treatment. My laptop had been shutting down randomly, so I had Dave take it apart and blow out the fan. It's been sporadic since. I've been using Alex's laptop (he has a desktop also) but it's frustrating. His touchpad is extra touchy and if you rest your hand on it, well...the laptop does crazy things. We sold 2 of Molly's babies to a lady who lives near the Dells. She had bought 2 geese from someone and one died. Geese need a flock to survive, so I offered her two of Molly's babies. She said they are doing well and bonding with her gosling. It's good to have a flock of happy geese. There's a good video of what it's like to have ...

1000th Feedback!!!

KIP Bags by Ruddawg has gotten their 1000th feedback! In honor of this momentous occasion, I am giving away a One of a Kind KIP Bag filled with goodies. The stuff? A sampling based on the idea "A Few of my Favorite Things." What are a few of my favorite things? Well, KIP bags, of course. This one is red velvet, 10" high by 7 1/2" wide. A red velvet wrist strap allows for knitting and walking at the same time. It has a decorator fabric bottom and fancy stitching at the top to give it a more festive look. What is in the bag? The top fuzzy item is a pair of socks. Not just socks, but a pair of those fuzzy and oh so soft socks. I am a fiend for socks! I ask for a new set of socks every year for my birthday. Next is a skein of Alpaca yarn - Caramel in color. I love, love LOVE alpaca! This skein is from Blue Sky Alpacas, 120 yards of Sport Weight Yarn. The red item is my most useful tool for knitting, sewing and everything else. It's a small swiss army knife that ...

How To: DIY Envelopes

My Sister sent over some templates for envelopes with a note that said she didn't know how to use them. So here is my photo montage of how to use an envelope template: First of all, let's pick out some pretty paper.  Mine came from a stack of paper purchased at Michaels' in the clearance aisle.  Two pages out of the stack were damaged, but at 60% off, I could deal with that. I put the template on the paper, positioning it where I thought it would look best.  Then I drew around the outline of the template with a pencil.  Why pencil? Because you can erase the marks later. This box template, as I look at it will have a sort of triangular shape.  It will be long and have a very narrow bottom.  So I traced around the whole thing, leaving out the parts in the middle.  We will get back to those in a minute. I grabbed a pair of scissors and cut around the basic shape of it to get it off the bigger part of the paper. Then carefully, I cut the smaller shape...