Skip to main content

Officially Closing Up Shop

The official date for closing the Etsy shop is Aug. 31.  I'm done, spent out, fizzled.

It's been a strange, odd, goofy ride.  I started selling bags to help out with the budget while staying home to make sure Alex stayed out of trouble. I was going to Blackhawk Tech at the time and was going to become a Physical Therapist Assistant.

Did you ever start something and somewhere along the line get a real nagging feeling that this was not for you? Yeah, that was the PTA thing.  Somewhere along the time when they started admonishing us to be careful when transferring patients because their skin could be so thin it could tear...well that's when I got nervous.  Could I do that? How would I feel if I inadvertently hurt someone? Maybe this is not the path for me.

I washed out of the program about a week later.  No amount of coercion could make me go back.  I will always be just so nervous that I'd hurt someone just by moving them.

EH

The knitting bags are still great, still fun to make when the sewing room is not like a sauna.  I can spend hours listening to music sewing along without really thinking of what I'm doing.  Hey, I've made over 5,000 of these things. I make them in my sleep! I once made one while talking to my sister.  She is still confused how I did it so fast.

10 Things I will not miss about closing shop:

1. working 6 days a week.  Yeah, I was supposed to have Thursdays and Sundays off.  Lately, it seems as though the only day I get orders is Thursday.  So I spend the morning sewing, then go off to knitting group later. Sundays are still mine though.

2. Taking pictures, endless pictures of bags.  The hardest thing is to find a good place during the winter. Normally I take them outside on the front porch.  During the winter, ain't no way I'm standing out their freezing my butt off for a photo.  Last winter the photos were taken in the bathroom.

3. Gobs of leftover fabric.  No really, I've got 3 boxes of bits of fabric that is too small for bags, too big to throw out.  Maybe I'll make more quilts when I'm closed....

4. Uh..how to put this nicely? Clueless Customers. 99.9999% of my customers are spot-on, smart knitters with know-how.  I remember one customer well: I spent a month explaining to all that I would not be working on the Friday before Halloween 2011 due to my surgery. I had my Gall Bladder taken out. So wrapped in preparation for the surgery, I forgot to close up shop.  Some woman from Great Britain ordered a bag on that day and then gave me a neutral feedback because I did not send out her order til the next Tuesday.

Yeah, 7 Billion other people could read the postings over that month, ONE PERSON ignored them and I get knicked for it.  Still makes me cranky thinking about it.  That's your lesson small business owners: Close up shop when you're going to have surgery, lest someone expect you to bound out of bed, shake off the Vicodin, drive down to the nearest post office and post their international mail.

5. I Like the ladies at the fabric store, and I'm sure they like my revenue.  I'm not liking the fact that I'm there so much that I can direct other customers to what they need.

6. Knowing the VAT taxes for different countries, plus the postal rates for such countries is not info that will get me dates, fans or money in a trivia game.  I'll be glad to let that bit of useless knowledge go.

7. Oh! You sew? Let me give you my fabric that no one wants nor likes!   Yeah, the Thimbleberries and Sue's stuff was AWESOME, but the other stuff? Eh.

8. Bags are EVERYWHERE in my house.  I'm sure my husband would like to have his home back and my guests would like to be able to sleep somewhere where there's not inventory stacked to the walls.

9. I've spent the last 4 years explaining to my extended family that I work 8am to 3 pm Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday.  I don't know how many times I've gotten a call, "Oh are you busy?" Yeah, I'm WORKING!

10. I've lost both my health insurance and retirement.  I've got nothing else to lose.  My retirement $ went to pay the fuel oil bill winter before last. Badgercare kicked me off because apparently when your kid reaches age 19, you're not a Mom anymore.  The really pissy thing about that one was that I was one of those who actually PAID to be on Badgercare: 25% of my monthly earnings went to health insurance.

Obama's thing of 'You didn't build that, someone else did.' pretty much pissed off a lot of small business owners like me. I built this business with a flat sheet bought from a Dollar General and some remnants from working at Hancock Fabrics. It was MY knowledge of sewing- passed down from my Grandmother, plus MY knowledge of Ebay that got me my first orders.  I've never gotten a loan, nor asked to borrow anything from anyone for this business. Along the way, I've lost it all, but it was MY risk! I'm not asking for a bailout, just an opportunity to work and regain what I've lost.  Obama can kiss my failing small business owner ass. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1000th Feedback!!!

KIP Bags by Ruddawg has gotten their 1000th feedback! In honor of this momentous occasion, I am giving away a One of a Kind KIP Bag filled with goodies. The stuff? A sampling based on the idea "A Few of my Favorite Things." What are a few of my favorite things? Well, KIP bags, of course. This one is red velvet, 10" high by 7 1/2" wide. A red velvet wrist strap allows for knitting and walking at the same time. It has a decorator fabric bottom and fancy stitching at the top to give it a more festive look. What is in the bag? The top fuzzy item is a pair of socks. Not just socks, but a pair of those fuzzy and oh so soft socks. I am a fiend for socks! I ask for a new set of socks every year for my birthday. Next is a skein of Alpaca yarn - Caramel in color. I love, love LOVE alpaca! This skein is from Blue Sky Alpacas, 120 yards of Sport Weight Yarn. The red item is my most useful tool for knitting, sewing and everything else. It's a small swiss army knife that

Secret of the Stole: Clue 3 Finished!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/secretofthestole/ Clue 3 is finished! I am knitting it in handspun 2-ply yarn on size 3 addi circular needles with beads. The beads used to be only green, now I've added lavender and gold ones also. To me, this looks like a spider and web-themed stole. Notice the 3 spiders on it? I call them spiders because they have 8 legs each.
I know the picture is not the best, but it does show the basic shape of the shawl. It's a faerose shawl, knitted for a friend of mine who will be married next month. The middle is a pattern I've memorized from somewhere, but the wings were from the Mystery Stole3 Pattern. Now the left side was the easiest: I picked up 100 stitches from the middle and just utilized the wing chart from the Mystery Stole3. The right side took some canoodling. I figured out that if I read the wing chart from the left to the right instead of the 'usual' way it would work. The last stitch was not a slip stitch, but a k2tog stitch. I then slipped that stitch and purled all the way back to the edge of the wing. It worked out well. The total knitting time was 2 weeks. I knitted like a fiend. Last Thursday I realized that I had to start school this Thursday. I knitted faster and faster. I finished it during the Packer game last night and blocked it on my son's bedroom floor.