Skip to main content

What's in my Bag?

You know, I hardly ever post these days and it's a shame.  I've been knitting like a fiend and should show my cool stuff. 

So, perhaps this will be a new feature: What's in my bag? Since I make the bags, be aware that my bag preferences change frequently.  

Current bag: Skulls and Roses in Medium

You will notice a few items in there: a white-ish thing and a knitted thing in green, orange and red.  Let's go with that colorful thing first.

This is a sock blank by Fiberartcafe.  It is just beautiful!!! I met Susan at the Dragonfly Yarn Shop yesterday. Kerrie has open knitting on Thusdays from 1 til 4.  For a work-at-home Mom like me, it's 2 hours that keeps me sane.  Sure, working from home is great.  I get to set my own hours and save money
 on gas and stuff. But, there is a downside: No one to talk to. 
 

My husband and my son are sometimes the only people I talk to for DAYS.  About a month ago, I realized how much strain this puts on both them and me. I'm relying on them too much for just plain conversation. I'm female,  with a female need to converse with others.  So I go in every week for 2 hours, talk knitting with some ladies and knit.  It's been great! 

Ok, back on track now.  Susan, the maker of the sock blanks was in and she had a HUGE tote of these blanks.  To a knitter- especially a sock knitter- that's like paradise.  Susan and I flipped through a bunch before I heard this one shout my name.  After I am done with the Harry Potter socks, this is the next thing on the needles. 

Speaking of Harry Potter: 
This is from the Opal Harry Potter line of sock yarn.  The colorway I am using is Ron.  The needles are size 0 Addi Lace circulars.  I do think I slipped a mental nut when I started on size 0's but, hey....there's worse things I could've done!

Next up, cashmere. 

Kerrie's been starting to sell spinning fibers. Last week I went to see what she had and this cashmere was just..............awesome.  I petted it for a while and then left it there.  
This week,  I bought an ounce of it. Since I had this planned, I tucked my mini-Boz in my knitting bag. I tugged a bit of fiber off my ounce and started spinning it right in the shop.  Oh, how beautiful it spins!  

At home I spun about 1/2 an hour and then the temptation got to me.  I had to knit it!  So I grabbed a couple of size 0 dpns and cast on stitches.  The swatch was knitted with the pattern from the Apres Surf Hoodie .  Now that I've seen how it looks, I'll be improvising that lace pattern and putting it to use on a smoke ring.  What else would you do with wisps of soft cashmere?

For more practical knitting; there's the washcloths.  Knitted on size 9 needles from a pattern by Artsygal
I knitted about 5 of them in a week. I like the colors, which is the peaches and cream gumdrop color.  This is that washcloth cotton you can get at Walmart for less than 2 bucks a skein.  I saw the pattern and on impulse, bought yarn and knitted them. 

So....what's in your knitting bag???

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Brenda,

Thanks for mentioning my shop in your blog. :) There's nothing in my bag right now..... I've been cleaning house. It's such a chore right now because the yard is so messy. My husband keeps bringing in wet leaves and mud! I know what you mean about going crazy working out of your house. I used to work in an office. I love working from home, but you don't get the interaction with others that you need. I knit with some people too and go to all of the guild meetings. :)
Best!
Susan
Unknown said…
Gosh I am impressed. Love these colourways, especially that blank.
Brenda said…
My Aunt and Uncle had a Lhasa Apso. It was named Jingles. Jingles would stop at the end of a block and look both ways on command. She was a smart and pretty dog!
Anonymous said…
Thanks for the link! I've already told you this, but I'm loving your washcloths! And the cashmere lace. Hubba hubba! I completly understand the needing someone else to talk to thing. Now that I work from home, the only person I see for days at a time is my roommate. And while she's perfectly nice, I miss seeing more PEOPLE! Must try to start a knitting group in this podunk lil town.

Popular posts from this blog

1000th Feedback!!!

KIP Bags by Ruddawg has gotten their 1000th feedback! In honor of this momentous occasion, I am giving away a One of a Kind KIP Bag filled with goodies. The stuff? A sampling based on the idea "A Few of my Favorite Things." What are a few of my favorite things? Well, KIP bags, of course. This one is red velvet, 10" high by 7 1/2" wide. A red velvet wrist strap allows for knitting and walking at the same time. It has a decorator fabric bottom and fancy stitching at the top to give it a more festive look. What is in the bag? The top fuzzy item is a pair of socks. Not just socks, but a pair of those fuzzy and oh so soft socks. I am a fiend for socks! I ask for a new set of socks every year for my birthday. Next is a skein of Alpaca yarn - Caramel in color. I love, love LOVE alpaca! This skein is from Blue Sky Alpacas, 120 yards of Sport Weight Yarn. The red item is my most useful tool for knitting, sewing and everything else. It's a small swiss army knife that

Secret of the Stole: Clue 3 Finished!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/secretofthestole/ Clue 3 is finished! I am knitting it in handspun 2-ply yarn on size 3 addi circular needles with beads. The beads used to be only green, now I've added lavender and gold ones also. To me, this looks like a spider and web-themed stole. Notice the 3 spiders on it? I call them spiders because they have 8 legs each.
I know the picture is not the best, but it does show the basic shape of the shawl. It's a faerose shawl, knitted for a friend of mine who will be married next month. The middle is a pattern I've memorized from somewhere, but the wings were from the Mystery Stole3 Pattern. Now the left side was the easiest: I picked up 100 stitches from the middle and just utilized the wing chart from the Mystery Stole3. The right side took some canoodling. I figured out that if I read the wing chart from the left to the right instead of the 'usual' way it would work. The last stitch was not a slip stitch, but a k2tog stitch. I then slipped that stitch and purled all the way back to the edge of the wing. It worked out well. The total knitting time was 2 weeks. I knitted like a fiend. Last Thursday I realized that I had to start school this Thursday. I knitted faster and faster. I finished it during the Packer game last night and blocked it on my son's bedroom floor.