Skip to main content

Antibiotic Resistance in 10 years

photo courtesty of Facebook Group Nuclineers

What you see are plates that have bacteria growing on them- that's the white, cloudy stuff all over the plate. You put one colony on the plate that has a media on it that allows it to grow. You wait a day, then put the dots on.
Those two white dots with writing on them are antibiotic discs. I can't read the writing on it, but they are probably two of your more common antibiotics like cephalexen and ampicillin.
See the clear halo around the two on the left from 2009? That means that the antibiotics in the disc have killed all the bacteria around the disc. The bigger the halo, the more effective that antibiotic is to the bacteria.
Now look at the one on the right dated 2019. Same bacteria. Same antibiotics at the same dosage. There is no halo around the left and on the right one, barely a halo. That's called,"Antibiotic Resistance" a once-potent antibiotic is now freaking useless to that bacteria.
How does that happen: Overusage of antibiotics. Are you one who expects an antibiotic every time you get a cold? Yeah, you're contributing to this. Cold/Flu are VIRUSES and antibiotics are useless against them. Won't touch them; can't even try. But you demand the doctor give you something, right? And think that just because you 'feel' better a few days later that it's the antibiotics.
Usually, a virus has about a 7-10 day period of symptoms, then your own body recognizes it as a bad guy and starts to produced more and more defenses against them. Antibiotics have NEVER worked against viruses.

There is also some scientific reports that trying to clean your house to a level of sterility is causing what they call  'superbugs' which is also what happens when you take your prescribed antibiotics for only 2 days instead of the full course.  What happens is that the weaker bacteria die, but those with the stronger flagella, the stronger cell wall, the stronger proteins survive.  - Survival of the fittest works well with bacteria too.

And I'm not even going to start on plasmids.  You all want to be able to sleep at night, right? The less you know about plasmids the better. 

So to keep the antibiotics working, I recommend a few things:
1. Got a cold/flu? Wait a week before demanding an antibiotic UNLESS your symptoms take a huge turn for the worse.  The H1N1 flu killed so many because young people's immune system went into overdrive and they died because their lungs filled with fluid.  But if you've got a crappy cold or flu, stay home, rest and drink fluids. Odds are, you are healthy enough to get through it.

2. TAKE YOUR WHOLE PRESCRIPTION OF ANTIBIOTICS!!  don't stop after 3 days because you feel better. Take the entire set.

3. Cleaning: If you or your kids are not eating stuff off the floor, it doesn't need to be sterile.  If you aren't licking out of the toilet bowl, that doesn't need to be sterile. Clean the door handles, the keyboards, your cutting boards but dang..........not everything needs to be sterile! Even in surgical rooms, not everything is sterile.

4. WASH YOUR HANDS! after you head to the bathroom, and a few more times a day as well.  In my job, I wash my hands at least a dozen times a day because it is required before entering the production floor and before doing certain lab tasks.   Also, cover your danged mouth/nose when you sneeze or hork up a lung. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1000th Feedback!!!

KIP Bags by Ruddawg has gotten their 1000th feedback! In honor of this momentous occasion, I am giving away a One of a Kind KIP Bag filled with goodies. The stuff? A sampling based on the idea "A Few of my Favorite Things." What are a few of my favorite things? Well, KIP bags, of course. This one is red velvet, 10" high by 7 1/2" wide. A red velvet wrist strap allows for knitting and walking at the same time. It has a decorator fabric bottom and fancy stitching at the top to give it a more festive look. What is in the bag? The top fuzzy item is a pair of socks. Not just socks, but a pair of those fuzzy and oh so soft socks. I am a fiend for socks! I ask for a new set of socks every year for my birthday. Next is a skein of Alpaca yarn - Caramel in color. I love, love LOVE alpaca! This skein is from Blue Sky Alpacas, 120 yards of Sport Weight Yarn. The red item is my most useful tool for knitting, sewing and everything else. It's a small swiss army knife that

Secret of the Stole: Clue 3 Finished!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/secretofthestole/ Clue 3 is finished! I am knitting it in handspun 2-ply yarn on size 3 addi circular needles with beads. The beads used to be only green, now I've added lavender and gold ones also. To me, this looks like a spider and web-themed stole. Notice the 3 spiders on it? I call them spiders because they have 8 legs each.
I know the picture is not the best, but it does show the basic shape of the shawl. It's a faerose shawl, knitted for a friend of mine who will be married next month. The middle is a pattern I've memorized from somewhere, but the wings were from the Mystery Stole3 Pattern. Now the left side was the easiest: I picked up 100 stitches from the middle and just utilized the wing chart from the Mystery Stole3. The right side took some canoodling. I figured out that if I read the wing chart from the left to the right instead of the 'usual' way it would work. The last stitch was not a slip stitch, but a k2tog stitch. I then slipped that stitch and purled all the way back to the edge of the wing. It worked out well. The total knitting time was 2 weeks. I knitted like a fiend. Last Thursday I realized that I had to start school this Thursday. I knitted faster and faster. I finished it during the Packer game last night and blocked it on my son's bedroom floor.