Skip to main content

Things I understand, but just don't "get"

So one day my honey were out fishing and talking and we hit upon someone else idea of fun. I said, "I understand it, I just don't 'get' it." to which Dave gave me that look.  I said that while I understand the jist of whatever it was, I just couldn't understand how people would actually make a hobby out of it.

Trust me, there's a lot of that out there. Now, this is not in any way demeaning these interests, but realize that other people find it just not to their liking.

Things that I understand, but just don't get:
1. Fantasy Football  - I call it "D & D for jocks"
2. D & D
3. Golf  - a lot of money to hit a ball around mowed grass.
4. Raising miniature - dude, if you can't ride it, eat it or have it mow your grass, why even raise it? 
5. Blinging out cars/trucks/semis - This one will tick off my Dad who would chrome his whole semi if he could but...............why?
6. Scrabooking - I know, but it just smacks lf "look at me! look at me!" but hey, whatever tricks your trigger.
7. Soccer, actually Professional Soccer  - BOring, to watch. But hey, some of those players are hot.
8. Trips to Mall of America - Yeah, don't spend a lot of time in malls nor shopping, nor do I care all that much about it.
9. Cruises on mega ships - Um, It's a floating city with all the amenities that will dock at some sort of shanty town with a built-up tourist area. I'd rather go low scale..or actually fly. Being on an ocean gives me the heebie jeebies..
10. Big game hunting. - If I'm spending that kind of money, I'm coming back with meat for the entire city, not just leaving it to rot.
11. Running  - I know, I know..it's exercise. It's 'great' and all that. Big tater tots on my chest + asthma means my exercise high comes from elipticals. There's no decal to stick on my truck for doing x amount of hours on the eliptical. No one gives me a shiny blankie either.
12. Basejumping - no...just no.
13. Uber- manicured lawns.  This must be some sort of guy thing, because if it were left to me, the side yard would be a hay field to be mowed, raked and baled for food..not to have a huge carpet of green.
14. Spending hours on hair and nails at a salon for big bucks. #1, I don't have the $$. 2. the stuff is temporary. 3. No animal will look up at me in the morning and say, "hey, nice hair" (but I do like to paint my nails here at home.)
15. Nope, that's it.

I'm sure people don't get things that I do...I'm ok with that. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1000th Feedback!!!

KIP Bags by Ruddawg has gotten their 1000th feedback! In honor of this momentous occasion, I am giving away a One of a Kind KIP Bag filled with goodies. The stuff? A sampling based on the idea "A Few of my Favorite Things." What are a few of my favorite things? Well, KIP bags, of course. This one is red velvet, 10" high by 7 1/2" wide. A red velvet wrist strap allows for knitting and walking at the same time. It has a decorator fabric bottom and fancy stitching at the top to give it a more festive look. What is in the bag? The top fuzzy item is a pair of socks. Not just socks, but a pair of those fuzzy and oh so soft socks. I am a fiend for socks! I ask for a new set of socks every year for my birthday. Next is a skein of Alpaca yarn - Caramel in color. I love, love LOVE alpaca! This skein is from Blue Sky Alpacas, 120 yards of Sport Weight Yarn. The red item is my most useful tool for knitting, sewing and everything else. It's a small swiss army knife that

Secret of the Stole: Clue 3 Finished!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/secretofthestole/ Clue 3 is finished! I am knitting it in handspun 2-ply yarn on size 3 addi circular needles with beads. The beads used to be only green, now I've added lavender and gold ones also. To me, this looks like a spider and web-themed stole. Notice the 3 spiders on it? I call them spiders because they have 8 legs each.
I know the picture is not the best, but it does show the basic shape of the shawl. It's a faerose shawl, knitted for a friend of mine who will be married next month. The middle is a pattern I've memorized from somewhere, but the wings were from the Mystery Stole3 Pattern. Now the left side was the easiest: I picked up 100 stitches from the middle and just utilized the wing chart from the Mystery Stole3. The right side took some canoodling. I figured out that if I read the wing chart from the left to the right instead of the 'usual' way it would work. The last stitch was not a slip stitch, but a k2tog stitch. I then slipped that stitch and purled all the way back to the edge of the wing. It worked out well. The total knitting time was 2 weeks. I knitted like a fiend. Last Thursday I realized that I had to start school this Thursday. I knitted faster and faster. I finished it during the Packer game last night and blocked it on my son's bedroom floor.