Skip to main content

question?

Does anyone else have this issue with knitting...that when you finish one *big* project, you get all scatter-brained and start about a dozen small projects because you can't get it together mentally for a big one?

It's been a month or two since finishing both Blessed Days shawls, and I can't seem to focus knitting wise for more than an hour or so.  Nothing has captured my attention long enough to keep at it. I've got two throws, one baby sweater, two hats and a sock on the needles. None of which is close to being done and I'll bet at least 1/2 of them will be frogged.  I do that, when I notice that I am too scattered, I will frog the projects that I come across.

Of course, I should give myself a break; school has just gotten done, I've hatched out 18 ducks in the last 2 weeks and have played goose mama to 6 new girls.

That's a lot on my plate!

OH! I should tell you that Molly, our mail-order bride has started laying eggs.  Buddy's not her mate, but one of the twins has found her shag-worthy.  These babies will be Chinese-Toulouse mix babies. I've seen pictures of that and it's kinda cute. They have the dark stripe down their necks with the floufy tufted feathers....and orange beaks.

We had a clutch of 5 duck eggs dated 4/25.  When you put eggs in the incubator, you date them and put an 'X' on one side and an "O" on the opposite side.  The date is so that you can extrapolate when to put them in lockdown and when you expect them to hatch.  The other markings are for daily use: You must rotate the eggs at least 3 times a day to make sure that the baby is free-floating within the egg.  It's always an odd # of rotations, because if you do it on an even #, the eggs will spend over 1/2 their time in one position.

You can see in this photo taken through the window of the incubator the X's and O's.  It's ALWAYS done in pencil. Once they get closer to their hatch date, I usually draw an outline around the air cell in the fat end of the egg.  A daily check of the progression of the size of that air cell will tell you how close hatch time is.

Of course, that means telling all I know about candling eggs: Using a LED flash light to see inside the egg.  No candles are involved.  That's another time. I've got bedding to change on 14 ducks and 6 Rhode Island Red chickens.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1000th Feedback!!!

KIP Bags by Ruddawg has gotten their 1000th feedback! In honor of this momentous occasion, I am giving away a One of a Kind KIP Bag filled with goodies. The stuff? A sampling based on the idea "A Few of my Favorite Things." What are a few of my favorite things? Well, KIP bags, of course. This one is red velvet, 10" high by 7 1/2" wide. A red velvet wrist strap allows for knitting and walking at the same time. It has a decorator fabric bottom and fancy stitching at the top to give it a more festive look. What is in the bag? The top fuzzy item is a pair of socks. Not just socks, but a pair of those fuzzy and oh so soft socks. I am a fiend for socks! I ask for a new set of socks every year for my birthday. Next is a skein of Alpaca yarn - Caramel in color. I love, love LOVE alpaca! This skein is from Blue Sky Alpacas, 120 yards of Sport Weight Yarn. The red item is my most useful tool for knitting, sewing and everything else. It's a small swiss army knife that

Secret of the Stole: Clue 3 Finished!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/secretofthestole/ Clue 3 is finished! I am knitting it in handspun 2-ply yarn on size 3 addi circular needles with beads. The beads used to be only green, now I've added lavender and gold ones also. To me, this looks like a spider and web-themed stole. Notice the 3 spiders on it? I call them spiders because they have 8 legs each.
I know the picture is not the best, but it does show the basic shape of the shawl. It's a faerose shawl, knitted for a friend of mine who will be married next month. The middle is a pattern I've memorized from somewhere, but the wings were from the Mystery Stole3 Pattern. Now the left side was the easiest: I picked up 100 stitches from the middle and just utilized the wing chart from the Mystery Stole3. The right side took some canoodling. I figured out that if I read the wing chart from the left to the right instead of the 'usual' way it would work. The last stitch was not a slip stitch, but a k2tog stitch. I then slipped that stitch and purled all the way back to the edge of the wing. It worked out well. The total knitting time was 2 weeks. I knitted like a fiend. Last Thursday I realized that I had to start school this Thursday. I knitted faster and faster. I finished it during the Packer game last night and blocked it on my son's bedroom floor.