During the past few weeks I've been tinkering with a larger bag for knitting. Tinkering because they've all just been a bit not right. The first one: bad in all kinds of ways. The second: another drawstring bag, made out of a recycled sweater, is so-so. (See Pic)
It's about 5" taller than the usual bag, and a bit wider; which makes it 14" tall and about 10" wide. I'm still thinking of the best way to make it close. The one that sticks out is to use grommets and make it close like one of those lunch bags. It would still be washable/dryable, but it would make a racket in the dryer.
Prototype # 2 is more like a tote bag, but will have the usual pockets in it. This one was a pattern out of a packet, something I got from the fabric store when I was working there. As something to sell, I can't. It's copyrighted. But I cut them out, sew them and get ideas of what I want MY bag to have. I make up my mind on what is good and what isn't working that way. This one has potential, but is wayyy too big.
I like the simplicity of it. The size is about 20" wide and 15" tall. Too big for me. I don't have the heart to tear it apart, so I will send it to my DIL. I'll draft a pattern that is smaller, and with pockets inside; with the usual ones for knitting needles plus one small one positioned up higher for scissors.
I pondered possibilities with the straps. Perhaps utiliting the tabs/D ring/Strap construction, but that would make it noisy in the dryer. I'm thinking straight straps would be the best way to go. When I started sewing knitting bags, the primary goal was to make one that can be thrown in the wash whenever it gets dirty. That's still my goal. After all the things I put my knitting bags through, they have to be able to be washed. One day I will tell you all the story of the raccoon and the half-knitted mitten.