Skip to main content

Updates galore

So ah yeah. I totally forgot that I have a blog. After graduation, I got a new computer FOR graduation and was busy transferring stuff to the new laptop. I really like it.  I has battery power and weighs much less than my old one.

Work wise? WOW...I've already been through 2 jobs; neither one in my field however. I was a cashier for a month, then got an offer for a job that paid $5 an hour more. I took the job and after a week, realized I was not in shape enough, nor young enough to continue.  It was very physical work.  It's a shame though. The people I was working with were great.

I've finished a few knitting projects, started more. With some of this free time, I've been cataloging my yarn stash on Ravelry. It's a time-consuming work to do, but it will help me in the future.  A friend of mine who lives in Alaska is selling off her spinning equipment and focusing on quilting. I bought her Bosworth spindle off of her for a deal.  I really do like to spin on the Bosworths!

On the farm, we had a rocky spring with no new hatchings. Once I started with the work, we're now getting back on track.  Dobby, our duck hatched by a chicken hatched out a goose! We decided to raise that one to be more of a pet than livestock.  So that one is Hedwig and she's just a cutie.  Hewig is the one on the right front. Her adoptive Mama is Poppy Pomfrey and she just LOVES to take care of Hedwig.  Here she is in the back warning another girl away from her baby.

 Carrie took advantage of us not paying attention to her to hatch out 3 new goslings. Her mate is Aberforth, so we can't get 5' near them. Mom and Dad have enlisted the help of Sweet Pea and Elsa to help them with the rearing of the kids.

Dobby was undeterred by our efforts to get her to stop being broody and hatched out a baby duck about a week ago. She'll have another one in the next few days. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer!

Yes, Sissy's death has been a big blow to all of us. We miss her terribly. We suspect she became egg-bound, a condition that is most often fatal in poultry. She had not laid eggs this year and I knew she'd been shagged. There are a few things you can do, but you have to know that she's egg bound to start treatment. My laptop had been shutting down randomly, so I had Dave take it apart and blow out the fan. It's been sporadic since. I've been using Alex's laptop (he has a desktop also) but it's frustrating. His touchpad is extra touchy and if you rest your hand on it, well...the laptop does crazy things. We sold 2 of Molly's babies to a lady who lives near the Dells. She had bought 2 geese from someone and one died. Geese need a flock to survive, so I offered her two of Molly's babies. She said they are doing well and bonding with her gosling. It's good to have a flock of happy geese. There's a good video of what it's like to have ...

1000th Feedback!!!

KIP Bags by Ruddawg has gotten their 1000th feedback! In honor of this momentous occasion, I am giving away a One of a Kind KIP Bag filled with goodies. The stuff? A sampling based on the idea "A Few of my Favorite Things." What are a few of my favorite things? Well, KIP bags, of course. This one is red velvet, 10" high by 7 1/2" wide. A red velvet wrist strap allows for knitting and walking at the same time. It has a decorator fabric bottom and fancy stitching at the top to give it a more festive look. What is in the bag? The top fuzzy item is a pair of socks. Not just socks, but a pair of those fuzzy and oh so soft socks. I am a fiend for socks! I ask for a new set of socks every year for my birthday. Next is a skein of Alpaca yarn - Caramel in color. I love, love LOVE alpaca! This skein is from Blue Sky Alpacas, 120 yards of Sport Weight Yarn. The red item is my most useful tool for knitting, sewing and everything else. It's a small swiss army knife that ...

How To: DIY Envelopes

My Sister sent over some templates for envelopes with a note that said she didn't know how to use them. So here is my photo montage of how to use an envelope template: First of all, let's pick out some pretty paper.  Mine came from a stack of paper purchased at Michaels' in the clearance aisle.  Two pages out of the stack were damaged, but at 60% off, I could deal with that. I put the template on the paper, positioning it where I thought it would look best.  Then I drew around the outline of the template with a pencil.  Why pencil? Because you can erase the marks later. This box template, as I look at it will have a sort of triangular shape.  It will be long and have a very narrow bottom.  So I traced around the whole thing, leaving out the parts in the middle.  We will get back to those in a minute. I grabbed a pair of scissors and cut around the basic shape of it to get it off the bigger part of the paper. Then carefully, I cut the smaller shape...