Skip to main content

Oh What the Hell

I mean, what will Google learn about me? Well, that I spin, knit and hang out with many people who think like I do.  My friends and are convinced we're on some sort of watchlist for the Government anyways..we'd like to get assigned to the same re-education camp so we can cause no end of trouble.

Since the last post a few months ago, the Brauners have decided to go into poultry raising.  Chickens and Geese -well A goose - right now.
This little guy/gal was hatched last night.  That's a goose, by the way.  The one that Dave now says if I get too attached to, will be hard to eat.  That's not something I did not already know, Dave...Thanks! Besides, each flock needs one good guard goose and this little one will probably be it.

Now, I announced to my family that we were getting 25 chickens in May. So my Sister comes over one day and asks if we want ones early.  Uh...yeah....sure. We've got no coop ready but I figured she was talking a few weeks before they'd be ready to send over.

No. She was over last week with them and we installed them in the lower part of the garage for the time being.  6 chickens. Two are suspected Roosters, and 4 look like Hens.

Now these chickens and I have no love lost between us. In fact, their names are Broasted, Fried, Sauteed, Curried, Fricassee, and Broiled. Fricassee is the dark one with the comb in the back giving me the stink eye.  He always does that.  When we got them a week ago, that fancy brooder we schlepped back from up North was too good for them.  They took roost on the Rubbermaid ladder instead.  Now I have a crap-filled ladder.

The coop is being constructed as we speak.  I can hear Dave putting up the walls on the casa de poultry now. We have an octagonal concrete pad near the garage where it will set.  In the earlier days of this farm, it was a corn crib. Now it's a chicken coop.

This was what It looked like last Sunday. It's got walls now, but not a roof. Dave just walked in. His work is over today as it started raining. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer!

Yes, Sissy's death has been a big blow to all of us. We miss her terribly. We suspect she became egg-bound, a condition that is most often fatal in poultry. She had not laid eggs this year and I knew she'd been shagged. There are a few things you can do, but you have to know that she's egg bound to start treatment. My laptop had been shutting down randomly, so I had Dave take it apart and blow out the fan. It's been sporadic since. I've been using Alex's laptop (he has a desktop also) but it's frustrating. His touchpad is extra touchy and if you rest your hand on it, well...the laptop does crazy things. We sold 2 of Molly's babies to a lady who lives near the Dells. She had bought 2 geese from someone and one died. Geese need a flock to survive, so I offered her two of Molly's babies. She said they are doing well and bonding with her gosling. It's good to have a flock of happy geese. There's a good video of what it's like to have ...

1000th Feedback!!!

KIP Bags by Ruddawg has gotten their 1000th feedback! In honor of this momentous occasion, I am giving away a One of a Kind KIP Bag filled with goodies. The stuff? A sampling based on the idea "A Few of my Favorite Things." What are a few of my favorite things? Well, KIP bags, of course. This one is red velvet, 10" high by 7 1/2" wide. A red velvet wrist strap allows for knitting and walking at the same time. It has a decorator fabric bottom and fancy stitching at the top to give it a more festive look. What is in the bag? The top fuzzy item is a pair of socks. Not just socks, but a pair of those fuzzy and oh so soft socks. I am a fiend for socks! I ask for a new set of socks every year for my birthday. Next is a skein of Alpaca yarn - Caramel in color. I love, love LOVE alpaca! This skein is from Blue Sky Alpacas, 120 yards of Sport Weight Yarn. The red item is my most useful tool for knitting, sewing and everything else. It's a small swiss army knife that ...

How To: DIY Envelopes

My Sister sent over some templates for envelopes with a note that said she didn't know how to use them. So here is my photo montage of how to use an envelope template: First of all, let's pick out some pretty paper.  Mine came from a stack of paper purchased at Michaels' in the clearance aisle.  Two pages out of the stack were damaged, but at 60% off, I could deal with that. I put the template on the paper, positioning it where I thought it would look best.  Then I drew around the outline of the template with a pencil.  Why pencil? Because you can erase the marks later. This box template, as I look at it will have a sort of triangular shape.  It will be long and have a very narrow bottom.  So I traced around the whole thing, leaving out the parts in the middle.  We will get back to those in a minute. I grabbed a pair of scissors and cut around the basic shape of it to get it off the bigger part of the paper. Then carefully, I cut the smaller shape...